Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kona Oranges

Posted by Cactusrequiem Zone 8 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 16:21

Hello, I just received a book on many types of Citrus and listed was a Kona Orange. I have many varieties already and I was looking to see if I could get anymore information and possibly a place to get some seeds. The book states they are rather seedy, so it should be easy to get. Anybody have any ideas, information or SEEDS? Thank You in advance!
Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kona Oranges

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 21:38

What else did they say about it? Other naming, background information? Your post is the only relevent hit that comes up.

If it is a vegetatively propagated named cultivar seeds won't do you any good, you'll have to buy a vegetative propagation such as a grafted plant.

o
RE: Kona Oranges

The information I have is this:
"The Kona orange is a Valencia introduced into Hawaii in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver. The ship's surgeon and naturalist, Archibald Menzies, raised the seedlings onboard and gave them to several Hawaiian chiefs. In Kailua-Kona, some of the original stocks still bear fruit. This sweet orange is tight-skinned, round, with a solid core. The Kona has a sweet acid balance of flavor reminiscent of pineapple. The juicy pulp is divided into ten to thirteen segments. It is a late maturing fruit, harvested from March to June."
I guess I should have waited to post this in the Spring. Please let me know if you come up with anything!
Thanks!
Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here