Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Blue Ginger Growing Tips????

gardenlady48
17 years ago

Aloha-

Just returned from Oahu and I would really appreciate any growing tips for the Blue Ginger. It will be grown in a pot since I live in Illinois. The paper says to feed once a month and that it flowers all year round with sufficient sun....really??? Any particular soil? Or just good quality everyday potting soil.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo- Pam

Comments (3)

• gary96720
    17 years ago

Aloha Pam,

Blue ginger is a wandering jew relative, and very easy to grow. It won't like the cold, so try to keep above 50F at the lowest. It takes a lot of water when in active growth, but needs very good drainage. Let it dry out somewhat in the winter. I never fertilize mine, so I can't advise on that acount. Mine grow 10 feet high if I let them, but I usually cut them off 2 nodes above the soil, then each new shoot gets cut off after it has more than 2 nodes above the second node. This makes a single rooted stem have around 6 to 8 shoots that will flower at about 4 feet high instead of one shoot way up in the air where I can hardly see it. Mine tend to bloom only in the summer, and I cut off the blooming shoots when they are finished down to the 2 node position again where they will continue to produce new growth that will bloom again. They start very easily from cuttings. In fact to get a lot of new plants, start the cuttings by laying them horizontally and barely covering them. Each node will send out roots and shoots. I hope this helps.
    Gary

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gary-Thank you soooo much. The info was extremely helpful and I will print out to save for reference.
    Pam

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Search Dichorisandra.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm