Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials in Zone 10b/11

Posted by Orange_Blossom 5b CO (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 16, 04 at 20:57

Hi,

I am posting a similar thread in the perennials forum, but I thought this might also be the right place to ask:)
I am looking for "half hardy annuals" to start from seed, which are actually perennial in zone 10b/11. Any experiences growing the following as perennials in Zone 10b/11:

-Ipomoea (morning glory, moonflower)
-Zinnia
-Thunbergia alata (clock vine)
-Coleus
-Salvia splendens
-Petunia
-Pelargonium
-Nicotiana
-Snapdragon
-Callistephus (china aster)
-Celosia
-Dahlia
-Impatiens
-Lobelia
-Nemesia

I believe all of the above are true perennials in warmer zones, not self-seeding annuals, am I correct? Which will do well in humid, wet conditions in pots?

Any info would be great!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials in Zone 10b/11

Aloha,

The impatiens and the coleus should do well if it is shady. They will get leggy after awhile and you can pinch them back, otherwise, they will just keep going. Petunias and zinnas do well for awhile, but eventually die off. I don't personally know much about the rest.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Preya

o

Aloha

Impatiens, Coleus, Pelargonium, would do well in moist conditions. I am not sure about the others.

Phil

o

Can these be direct-sown? Actually, a broader question: In zones 10b/11, does anything really need to be started indoors, or can everything be direct-sown?

Thanks for the info:)
Preya

o

This is my first time to this forum. I don't know about growing those seeds in your zone, but I have all of the seeds you mentioned if you need seeds. I'm looking for vines.
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here