Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado flowering

Posted by HawaiiFruitGrower none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 21:51

Yes yes and yes!!!!!! While fertilizing my trees this afternoon I notices a growth that looked like flowers! Turns out it is flowers!!!!! In the photo it is kinda blurry though.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado flowering

Oh yeah, it's almost Avocado season here in Hawaii, I just noticed earlier that the trees are flowering around here in Oahu.

o

Ya here in Maui all the trees are flowering mango, avocado, lychee, etc. my flowers on my avocado are finally opening! Hopefully I get at least some fruit maybe even 1!!

o

My avocado tree is just now starting to flower. Good thing though, because all last week the high winds have knocked off a lot of the avocado blossoms from other avocado trees that have already flowered.

o

Neighbor has his dwarf avocado flowering now, though just started. Looking for a dwarf avocado that will bear fruit in winter & spring rather than summer or fall. Any suggestions?

Fredin Kihei

o

FerraraSR: I don't know if any true dwarf Avocados I know on craiglist there was a man selling a dwarf holiday vari avocado upcountry I have never heared of this vari, I would plant a Ota or Fujikawa vari avocado I think they flower in the winter and are pretty good avocados you can keep them small by pruning 2 times a year and can keep the tree at a manageable height.

o

FerraraSR: I don't know if any true dwarf Avocados I know on craiglist there was a man selling a dwarf holiday vari avocado upcountry I have never heared of this vari, I would plant a Ota or Fujikawa vari avocado I think they flower in the winter and are pretty good avocados you can keep them small by pruning 2 times a year and can keep the tree at a manageable height.

o

Thanks for the input, will try to find that variety. Went to kihana nursery & they said they were getting some dwarf avocados in but did not have a variety name or information on bearing time.

o

Ya if their dwarf avos then there should be a variety, i would check the trees when they bring it in, check for a graft mark where the garfted on the scion to the rootstock you would see the callus and the wax tape on the stock of the tree. If not then dont buy, because avos produce fruit from 7-10 yrs from seed and in the end you dont even know what your getting, they could be just selling those trees as grafted dwarf avos when they could be seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here