Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedge Problems

Posted by OGuthrie Hawaii (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 22:57

Greetings All,

We're living on the north shore of Kauai and have a few questions about the hedge around our house.

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Also, it appears to be dying. There are some black areas on the branches. There are empty areas and it generally looks really poor. We're not sure if the drip edge of the roof causes excess moisture possibly, but the hedge has been there for 25 years or more?

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the black stuff is (as seen in lower left of picture)?

We're thinking about replacing it as we're not happy with the variegated foliage and would like something richer, more hardy, and something with flowers and possibly fragrant. Any suggestions?

If we replace it, do we have to do anything special to make sure to get rid of the black stuff?

Any thoughts on the problem or its fix would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Owen Guthrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedge Problems

Another pic of the issue...

o

one more...

o

If the hedge has been there for 25 years, maybe all it is is that the plants have reached the end of their lifespan.

o

I would replace that hedge, too, if I were you. What about a gardenia hedge? Especially our Hawaiian endemic, Nanu (Gardenia brighamii), plant.

This post was edited by randg on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:13

o

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

Randg, do you know where we might acquire one of the endemic Nanu gardenias? Looks beautiful.

-Owen Guthrie

o

I got my Nanu (which unfortunately died on me because of neglect), from one of those Arbor Day giveaway. But I do see them occasionally available at the Pearl City Home Depot in the Hawaiian plants section.

If you can't find that plant, which I'm sure you need a lot to replace those dying-looking plants, other native plants is also out there for you to make hedges out of it, which I found out in this wonderful Hawaii Horticulture Blog.

This post was edited by randg on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 9:30

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here