Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for a gardening nut moving to Hawaii?

Posted by jeffdh Z6 UT (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 04 at 2:27

Hi gang,

I've got a chance for a job in Honolulu. I'm excited because I'm a tropical plant nut. Any advice for a mainlander embarking on this kind of adventure?

Thanks for any and all advice!

-Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for a gardening nut moving to Hawaii?

Go for it and just enjoy it. Year round growth, year round bugs and year round slugs. Otherwise, what's not to like?

Bring pruning shears and buy Neem Oil for an environmental safe bug killer.

Phil

o

I realize this posting is quite late. But for you and any others that have a passion for plants, I might venture toward native plant (and animal) conservation and preservation. There is a ton of stuff that can be researched, propagated & grown "successfully", photographed, etc. in Hawaii. We have numerous endangered species that need immediate attention.
Just ask and I'll point you in several directions. I have many connections here. Aloha a hui hou

o

• Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 6:20

hi deweydave, i'm asking.

o

Just keep in mind that things grow like crazy here. Prior to moving here, I gardened in Colorado, New Mexico, and Nebraska. I had no idea! I planted all these little plants in a flower bed in front of our front door, thinking that they would grow to nice little 3-4' bushes in a couple years, like they maybe would do on the mainland if I was very good to them. Ha! One of these suckers is now a tree that I have to keep pruning down to knee-high once it reaches about 8'! So, the moral of the story: Give your plants plenty of room to spread out.

o

Honu,
Unless you have a botanical degree or something of the sort, you may want to volunteer for a while. Opportunities will open up and you will be in a good position to make a choice from there. You can try Waimea Valley Audubon Center, The Nature Conservancy, or a number of other Hawaiian native plant & animal concerned organizations here in Hawaii.
Also, look under the heading "Native Hawaiian Plant Lovers" on the GardenWeb. Posted on Feb. 4, 2005.
Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here