Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iliahi trees (sandalwood)

Posted by halemalu hawaii/molokai (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 05 at 12:44

we live on molokai at the 1500' level and want to plant indigenous trees and plants in an undeveloped lot next to us. please advise us on sources and how-tos. we are always looking forward to earth day in april when free seedlings of different plants are given out. also we got vanilla orchid cuttings growing in a screened box. they need to be planted as they have outgrown the box. should we plant them in a larger screenhouse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iliahi trees (sandalwood)

Your heading said "iliahi (sandalwood)" so I'd like to address a few things about 'iliahi (Santalum spp.). There are two species that grow on Moloka'i, the coast sandalwood, or 'iliahialo'e (Santalum eliipiticum) which grows as a shrub, but sometimes as a tree. The other species, 'iliahi (Santalum feycinetianum) is found in the forested areas. Both are rather easy to grow if you find ripe seed. They are well worth the effort and very striking trees or shrubs. Sandalwood are probably semi-parasitic. This means they will need to grow next to another plant to recieve nutrients and thrive. If not they will soon die. I don't think they are very choosey either. So far, any native plant that I have planted my 'iliahi next to have been sucessful. Koa (Acacia koa), Koai'a (Acacia koaia), and 'ohi'a (Metrosideros spp.) are excellent native trees to host 'iliahi. I have planted 'iliahialo'e next to coastal naio (Myoporum sp.) with good results too. They need to be planted out when they are very young when about 3-5" tall. I wouldn't let them get any taller in a pot. Plant them in part sun/shade. Daily watering is necessary until established. They are somewhat slow at first, but then can grow quickly.
Moloka'i has many other unique plants found only in Hawaii. I would invite you to e-mail me directly and I can give you some personal information on what would be be good for your area. Aloha
deweydave2@hawaii.rr.com

o
RE: iliahi trees (sandalwood)

I've read that these sandalwoods are a partial parasite. Read that cotton can be a good host. Quick to germinate in the same pot.
kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here