Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Rare Fruits on Kauai

Axel
11 years ago

We are visiting Kauai and were wondering if people could tell us which are the cool orchards and nurseries to visit to see and taste some of hawaii's finest fruit. Grocery stores here are unfortunately just full of mainland grown fruits and vegetables, seems local produce is a rate commodity. So far, we have more tropical fruit growing in our California garden than we've been able to find.

Comments (7)

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

I'm not to sure of any nurseries on Kauai, only one I know of is the Kauai fruit tree and landscaping the seem to have a lot different plants tropica exotics fruit. Right now here in Hawaii the longan and rambutan should be flowering even lychee, mango, and avocado.
    ~HawaiiFruitGrower

• Axel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I see you're from Maui, we're doing our second week there, and I have a whole list of places to visit, since I have CRFG friends who used to live there.

I did check out some farmers markets here in Kauai and I've now managed to find ripe longans, chico, mamey, canistel, rambutans, ripe star fruit and some early ripe yellow mangos. I also managed to find non-GMO papayas and plenty of pineapple.

• TastingKauai
    11 years ago

Aloha,

I live on Kauai and your best bet is to shop at farmers markets. They have the best variety and prices. Kapaa, Namahana and Hanalei have great markets. The one at Kukuiula (Kauai Culinary Market) is having a special event this Wednesday that will feature a Kauai grass fed beef cooking demo by Salty Wahine Gourmet Hawaiian Sea Salts and all the restaurants will be at the market with yummy food and drinks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmers Markets on Kauai

• jabomano
    11 years ago

Hi

I was wondering if any of you living in Hawaii know of any nurseries or individuals in Hawaii that would sell and ship me grafted mangosteens? I live in south Florida (Ft. Myers) and know I can fruit a grafted tree here. I'll be growing it in the pot and have seen 3' grafted mangosteen trees fruiting. All I want is a couple of fruit a year. A seedling will take way too long and become too tall to grow in a pot reasonably. I don't think Frankie's carries grafted plants. Plant It Hawaii probably doesn't either but they're a wholesale operation.

Anything in for you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray
    www.raybayer.com

• HawaiiFruitGrower
    11 years ago

Ray here in Hawaii no one meaning nurseries carries grafted mangosteens, all the mangosteens sold here are all grown from seed.

• jabomano
    11 years ago

Thanks. I know mangosteen grafting has been done for quite some time in Queensland and cuts down fruiting time considerably. The shortest fruiting time I've seen by graft is about 9 months. I've seen mangosteens fruiting at 3' in pots.

Ray

• Rosa Minjares
    4 years ago

The farmer markets will have the closest to organic home grown fruit and vegetables and namany other items like poi tofu bread,honey & flowers leis. there's one every day in different areas of the island except sunday..... Aloha

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio