Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscu

What are you planting in Hawaii now?

jscu
18 years ago

We have finally cleared some space and are ready to plant. What are some of the things everyone is planting now? We live in Kihei which is hot and dry, I would love some flowers. Also, we have had no luck at all with morning glories and moon vines, they start out great but then seem to shrivel and die despite plenty of water - any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. Jenny

Comments (6)

• leilaniguy
    18 years ago

I assume you're located close to the shore? Sounds like maybe the vines are getting dessicated by the wind, or maybe can't take the salty air. You might try the old standbys like petunias, portulaca, zinnia, marigold or pelargoniums, they all thrive in hot locations.

• hotzcatz
    18 years ago

Aloha Jenny,

What flowers do your neighbors have that you like? (Can you get cuttings and seeds?) That is always a good indication of what grows well in your area.

How about plumeria or puakenikeni? They are more of a tree than a flower, but plumeria grows well in hot dry areas. Bouganville, maybe? That is another hot dry plant. Tuber rose might grow well.

What I've been planting is sweet potatoes, they might grow well in your area, too. They even have a morning glory sort of flower on them.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

• littleme
    18 years ago

Hi Jenny,

You might try Bird of Paradise and Celosia. These both flower well in the hot dry climates of Hawaii.

Mimi

Here is a link that might be useful: LITTLEME'S CANNAS

• misslilacs
    18 years ago

greetings from another maui gardener!
    I live in Kula but have some microclimates in my own 1/2+acre-I put in a yellow garden for my daughter in an arid strip that was nothing but old woody lavender and wattle roots, running down the driveway. In one year it just took off and it's gorgeous-try any of these, some plants you can even find at home depot, walmart, ace etc.:
    Yellow and orange gladiolas, firecracker bush (cigar?pua kika?), marmalade bush, meyer lemon tree and papaya of course!,do oranges do well in kihei?; also try different hibiscus in goldens and yellow and apricots and oranges-KULA ACE hardware has some SPECTACULAR giant hibiscus! I took a potted bay leaf for cooking and transplanted it there as well-and it is thriving under the huge hibiscus! Star jasmine vine does well there, a variegated holly with yellow and green leaves, very nice, thriving in the sun! hmm OH YEAH you may have some luck with lavender-they love it up here, not sure if it's too hot in Kihei but try it!
    different gallardias? Sorry I'm bad with names, gerber daisies, certain herbs like cilantro take off too! bird of paradise will run you $50 a piece nowadays. good luck.

• raliegh
    17 years ago

Hot is right. I assumed I got a bad lot of Morning Glory seeds since nothing came up.

I have much success with banana,tomato, mint, oregano, basil, papaya (out right now, would love to seed exchange), corn for my homeschoolers. Cannas, Vinca and a whole lot more I don't know names of. So much is like weeds, I am willing to give starts away.

ENDEMIC HIBISCUS are my new passion.

• kaseys_buzz
    17 years ago

If you're looking for color, in dry, very hot conditions I love Thailand Ixora, Agapanthus, Variegated Lirope, Podocarpus (Gracilor), lavender, Crepe Myrtle, Stephanoides, Orange trumpet vine, Prine Kohio Vine, Ti's, Draceana, and of course the ol' stand bys such as Hibiscus, Birds, Plumaria (Kihei's loaded with white fly so watch out when owning Plumaria now). It's a hard pest to get rid of, when your neighbor doesn't get rid of his, and on and on...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?