Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Katuk/Pak Wan

Posted by mauirose 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 20:46

Most properly known as Sauropus androgynus, an edible shrub. Anyone know where i can get a plant/cuttings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Katuk/Pak Wan

I was about to tell you that you can buy it at Frankie's Nursery, but when I looked at their price list I couldn't find Pak Wan. Two years ago, they were selling it and I didn't know more about the plant and how everyone agree that they are delicious--I thought at first that they were selling watermelon (I believe "pakwan" is a Filipino word for watermelon).

If you do get the plant/cuttings, could you tell please where did you get it?

o

You can get it from this place in Puna on the Big Island. I have no experience with them so can't make a recommendation but it's the only place I've found cuttings. I was going to get some shipped here to Cali but don't have the space yet. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaia Yoga Nursery

o

Thanks so much for the lead. i have emailed them and will post back on how it goes.

o

Just received a box stuffed full of Katuk cuttings-thanks Ano (Gaia Yoga Nursery)! Now i have to get them to grow ; )

o

They should grow really easily. If you grow them as a hedge you'll have good luck. Let us know how it works for you. Glad the hook-up worked out. They're really great there, very helpful and knowledgeable!

o

Pak Wan is not something that you can find in every wet market or supermarket, so it's good that you manage to find it here in Hawaii. Please, tell us how it is going with growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Solar Energy

o

i have several little rooted shrublets now. Not difficult to root at all, in fact i'm sure i would have had even better success if i'd paid more attention. i potted the cuttings in band pots, placed them in a large tub with an inch or so of water in the bottom and left the tub under the house for shade. About six weeks later they were probably ready for transplanting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here