Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Growing

Posted by cactusrequiem Zone 8 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 21:03

Hello,
I just stumbled onto a site that lists almost 180 named varieties of Pineapple.
See it here at:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=18480
Does any body here have any first hand knowledge of any or all of these?
I basically would like to know if there is a huge taste difference?
I would also like to know if these are commercially available?
If they are, does anybody have access to some that I can swap for?
One last question, does anybody know the name of the common Pineapple found in the grocery stores on the mainland?
Thank You in advance!
Darren

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Growing

I requested some accessions from them a year ago and received a few varieties, cheese pine, black antigua, montesserat, rudis, ananus nanus, red saigon, ananus brachteatus

I tried requesting some this year but got no response, Im not sure if they still mail accessions.

the sweetest pineapple is Del Monte gold, the Del Monte variety you buy in the store, it has the most brix ripe, i grow several from tops. it is a sport of smooth cayenne, which is the major variety used by other companies like chiquita.

kona loaf is popular, I found one at lowes, Its white and non acidic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here