Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagancat

Wiliwili tree care

Pagancat
19 years ago

Greetings from the Arizona forum!

I am lucky enough to be the proud new owner of a Erythrina sandwicensis. I've been scrounging information off of the web, trying to piece together good care for this little guy, but thought those of you who know him & his native home best might be able to tell me the best care tips.

Living in the Sonoran desert, I would guess that my climate is a bit more extreme than the desert lowlands (we reach about 110+ in the summer time) about as dry (6 inches per year looks pretty good to us!) and perhaps cooler - we hit the low 30's for about 4-5 nights for a period of hours. Does this sound feasible for the Wiliwili or should I protect him from any of these factors? Also, thinking ahead, my soil is pretty alkaline and has a clay consistency. I'd guess that pumice would be a welcome addition for drainage, how about acidity?

Any advice is *greatly appreciated*, TIA!

Sheryl

Comments (4)

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Sunset "Western Garden Book" gives only a Hawaiian climate zone for it. Also says, however, "Extremely drought tolerant". Maybe you can keep it going by coddling it, but I suspect it may be vulnerable to the high temperatures, low humidity or alkaline water you may have.

• LisaCLV
    19 years ago

I don't have any personal experience with this plant, but a lot of Hawaiian natives are pretty hard to grow outside their natural habitat. "Trailside Plants of Hawaii's National Parks" says this species is confined to dry lowlands such as the Kalapana region of the Big Island. The soil over there is practically pure cinder, which tends to be slightly acid to neutral; temp. probably not more than 90 deg. F, or less than maybe 55-60 at night, if that. I don't know what it's outer tolerances would be, I guess you'll just have to try it and see. Good luck!

• Deweydave
    19 years ago

Wiliwili get to be very large trees. True, they are extremely xeric, but also do not do well in cooler climates. The habitat of wiliwili is very dry, coastal leeward locations on the islands.
    Aloha

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much for the info - I appreciate it. Sounds like I'll have to try it as a container plant (maybe that will limit the size?) that can overwinter inside.... hmmm... wish me luck!

Thanks again, and please come visit the AZ forum if there's anything we can help you out with - we seem to have a good number of Hawaiian expats, here, too.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area