Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunseeker53

Going to Oahu end of April. Looking for plumerias to bring home

sunseeker53
13 years ago

Hi! I will be on vacation in Oahu end of April, and would like to have some tips from locals on where I can find plumeria cuttings. I've been told the Dole Plantation and the Aloha farmers market are the places. Any other places I should be visiting? I will also be looking for Hibiscus cuttings.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• pikko
    13 years ago

I've seen this type of stuff (ti leaves, etc) sold at the gift shop at Kualoa Ranch, if you happen to do a tour thingy there.

• sunseeker53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pikko,
    Other than the Dole Plantation, I don't plan to do tours, as we will have a rental car to explore the island. I'd like to look for something other than the generic white, pink, yellow or red plumeria cuttings that are sold in ABC stores. You would think that there would be at least 1 place that specializes in Plumerias, but I have found none while searching the internet (I guess that's because they grow like weeds in Hawaii!). I guess I will need to find nurseries when I get there and see what they have. Thanks!

• pikko
    13 years ago

I saw some today at Marukai on Nimitz, but unfortunately I was in a hurry and I didn't look at the varieties. Marukai now lets non-members in, you'll just need to pay a slightly higher price.

• sunseeker53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Pikko. I am putting Marukai on Nimitz on my list to visit. It sounds like a store like Costco?
    I have also contacted some eBay vendors who are on Oahu, so I should be able to get a few!

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

i read about a park/garden that has lots of old plumerias on Oahu. i plan to visit it next time we go to Hawaii. i'm sure they have cuttings for sale.

did a quick search, this might be the place

Dean Conklin Plumeria Grove
    http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/bridges/Plumeria/plumeria.htm

and a list of other gardens on Oahu
    http://www.discover-oahu.com/botanical-gardens-on-oahu.html

• sffog
    12 years ago

the state of Hawaii has very strict agricultural rules. all luggage must pass an agricultural inspection, especially plant cuttings has to be approved for transport to the Mainland (continental United States).Hawaii has agricultural pests that would ruin crops on the Mainland
    therefore do not buy unapproved cuttings,it will be confiscated at the airport

All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Restrictions on the movement of fruits, plants, live snails, and other items from Hawaii to the Mainland are enforced to prevent the spread of fruit flies and other hazardous plant insects and diseases.

Please report all agricultural items in your possession to the agricultural inspectors. Inspection stations for check-in baggage are located in front of the airline check-in counters while hand carried articles will be inspected at the security check points.

Be prepared to open and close your baggage and parcels for x-ray machine inspection.

For further information call the U. S. Department of Agriculture at (808) 861-8490.

Additional information is available on USDA predeparture passenger baggage inspection notice for travelers from Hawaii to the U.S. Mainland and Guam.

• silversword
    12 years ago

There are so many plumeria and hibiscus in CA, why buy from Hawaii?

• sunseeker53
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Silversword, I agree there are a lot of plumerias in CA, and I live within reasonable distance from Jungle jacks which is one of the best plumerias grower I know, but not all varieties are readily available in CA. After all Jim Little lives on Oahu so I expected many of his varieties to be more available in Oahu.
    I am in Honolulu now!!! Have been able to get some nice varieties cuttings from the Dole Plantation, also bought some from the Aloha Swap Meet. Got some rooted plants from Blooming Plumerias as well (but on these I had them ship to my home directly, as they are larger than the usual cutting). Will try Marukai market and KMart, WalMart today...
    Thanks for all the tips where to find plumerias, everyone!

• leslazz
    12 years ago

Sunseeker, hope you had a great time in Hawaii and got lots of plants! I am going to Oahu at the end of the month and have been looking for a place that can either ship a rooted (since I don't seem to have any luck with keeping the cuttings alive) Plumeria or sell me one i can take on the plane back with me? and I saw that you bought some from a place called Blooming Plumerias, I can't seem to find that specific nursery/store (?) on the Internet. Can you point me in the right direction? And did you happen to run across other places that are already cleared to ship to California?

If anyone else has any info on this, I would really appreciate it! I'm so excited to shop and see first hand the Plumeria I want! Thanks everyone!

Sponsored