Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goted

Norfolk Island Pine and other Araucaria in Hawaii

goted
20 years ago

Hi,

Wondering if people in Hawaii have tried other Araucaria besides the Norfolk Island Pine.

Look forward to any discussion.

Thanks.

Goted.

Comments (16)

• kickstand778
    20 years ago

There are quite a few in and around Kula on Maui.

• fayremead
    19 years ago

I believe that many of the Araucarias in JURASSIC PARK are Cook Pine.

• maui4me
    19 years ago

Most of them on Maui are the Cook Pines, especially around Kapalua.

• hotzcatz
    19 years ago

I've heard of Norfolk, Cook and Star pines, although I can't tell the difference between them. There's a huge one of them (haven't a clue which variety) in my backyard. It has long scaly fringe/fronds/branchlets? hanging from the branches instead of needles like the ironwoods. They are annoying "needles" since they get caught in the dog's tail on occasion.

I think it is also making actual pine cones or some sort of knobby green thing way up high. There aren't too many small seedlings starting under the tree, but I save them when I find them.

• Matt G
    19 years ago

There are a number of Araucaria spp. that I have seen or heard of growing in Hawai'i. Besides the more common A. columnaris (Cook), I have heard of two other species that grow in Hawai'i; A. angustifolia (Parana), and A. cunninghamii. I have not seen A. angustifolia on O'ahu, but I have seen A. cunninghamii in a few locations (In a valley along one of O'ahu's freeways - H3, and planted at Schofield barracks.)

Some helpful passages from "Common Forest Trees of Hawai'i (Native and Introduced)" [- Elbert L. Little, Jr. and Roger G. Skolmen- College of Tropical Agricultural and Human Resources - reprint of Agricultural Handbook no. 679, May 1989, Forest service, USDA]

A. cunninghamii: "Introduced to Hawai'i about 1880 as an ornamental and later used as forestry tests. A large individual on the grounds of Iolani Palace in Honolulu serves as a community Christmas tree. The devision of forestry and wildlife has planted 8600 trees on the forest reserves on all islands but mostly on Kaua'i."

A. angustifolia: "This tropical species has not been extensively planted in Hawai'i. It has been tried in a few plantations and has done well in two locations at 2100 ft elevation (640m). It may be seen at the Kalopa section of the Hamakua Forest Reserve on the Island of Hawai'i."

-This book also explains: how the name "Norfolk-Island-pine" is used for A. columnaris grown in nurseries. Possible but unlikely hybridization.
    How the two species have been confused with each other.

-I am not sure about the status of A. heterophylla in Hawai'i. But from what I have observed I notice two common distinctive types of Araucaria in Hawai'i (Not including A. cunninghamii). One of the types grows usually taller and the branches and stems look "messier". This plant is what I have been calling Norfolk island pine (A. heterophylla). The other type has a more "formal" appearance and usually looks much more conical. This is what I have been calling Cook pine (A. columnaris). I may be wrong.

• goted
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for some very interesting notes about Araucaria.
    Cyanea you did a great research job.
    The reason for my original posting was that I am fascinated by the huge variety of Araucaria from New Caledonia.
    I thought since many there are endangered, that Hawai'i would be a very well-suited place to grow some of the less common species and help boost their populations.
    But it appears that no one has initiated such plantings.
    Oh well, I guess we can continue to hope that someone will try.

• Aaron_TO
    19 years ago

I live in Canada and have recently bought a large 7ft Norfolk Pine just before Christmas. It was fine and healthy until about a month ago when some of the branches started turning brown and falling off. Now even the top branches are effected. First the tips lose color and then the branch crumbles away. Does anyone know if there is fertilizer I should be using or maybe special requirements? Watering regime? Anything? thanks for any info.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Cook pine is the common one, but Norfolk Island is present as well. There are some quite large ones of these. It is not leaning and columnar, has more of spearlike look to the branches. It is easy to see why it is also called star pine, if this name was bestowed in reference to its branching habit.

Araucaria angustifolia probably doesn't like the lowland climate there, is even attempted occasionally here in the Seattle area.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Standing in the Liliokulani (Hibiscus) Garden in Honolulu this week, looking mauka I spotted an Araucaria cunninghamii (or similarly tufted-looking species) in the neighborhood nearby. Only one I saw during this last, 4 day visit, which included the loop trip around the island. (We didn't visit any major gardens).

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Queen Kapiolani Garden. (Didn't spell Liliuokalani right, either).

• goted
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the on-the-spot sighting of A. cunninghamii.

Any idea why the more rare New Caledonia species are not tried in Hawaii? Is it just simply that seeds or plants from New Caledonia are very difficult to obtain?

Just as an aside, did you see any of the huge tree/shrub Lobelia species while you were in Hawaii?

Thanks again.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

I would survey plant collections there before deciding these were not present, myself. There are two levels of horticultural diversity, same as here: the general landscape, where you see the same cultivated plants over and over, and collections, where there are vastly more kinds grown.

There are a great many kinds of garden plants that surely could be grown in Hawaii, that apparently aren't. For example, possibly only a single species of Magnolia, M. grandiflora is represented. Concern about protecting agricultural crops and home gardens from new weeds and insects, resulting restrictions has alot to do with it, no doubt.

I've seen Trematolobelia macrostachys growing wild (and flowering) on Oahu on a prior trip, as well as a few other species I may never have identified. None this time, didn't even visit gardens. Short visit, to take care of some family business.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Was looking in the wrong direction when we drove by Iolani Palace. The Araucaria is probably still there. Doing a web search for Iolani Palace would likely bring up pictures of the tree.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Well, I only found a couple aerial shots of the palace where what is probably an araucaria can be made out (the grounds are actually much larger than the palace, with trees dispersed throughout). But: there's a page mentioning landmark hoop pines at Lyon Arboretum and Foster Gardens, I'm sure I saw the one in the Gardens driving by on the freeway, come to think of it.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Wow - what a great post! I have an Araucaria in my back yard. Until this week I had been trying to find a genus and species for it. A neighbor called it a star pine but I think it's a Cook Pine. It's abt 80-90 ft tall I think,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to take care of it. It looks a little sad bald and droopy on one side.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Wow - what a great post! I have an Araucaria in my back yard. Until this week I had been trying to find a genus and species for it. A neighbor called it a star pine but I think it's a Cook Pine. It's abt 80-90 ft tall I think,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to take care of it. It looks a little sad bald and droopy on one side.