Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two questions/Lei and definition

Posted by blaze (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 10:53

You have answered my planting questions in the past. Can you help me now?

What, if there is, is the significance of different flowers in leis? I know some are made from ginger, some from plumeria, etc. Can anyone tell me what 'a hui ho', and 'malama pono' mean in the Hawaiian language? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two questions/Lei and definition

Aloha, I can't answer all your questions about lei, though I'm sure each type flower has it's own significance or meaning. The words I Do know. "A hui ho" means 'til next time, or see you later. "malama pono" means to take great care or TLC. A hui ho, Leilaniguy

o

thanks for this...

o

Um, I believe the proper Hawaiian spelling is "a hui hou."

o

Aloha Blaze,

Some of the flowers are significant for various reasons. The red Ohia Lehua is sacred to Pele, I believe. Each island also has it's own particular lei flower. My friend's mom really disliked plumeria leis since she always saw plumeria growing in grave yards and she didn't want to think where the flowers had possibly come from. So, there are a lot of different reasons to make leis from different flowers and leaves. Generally, if I'm making a lei, it has more to do with the flowers available than anything else. If I'm buying a lei, I usually like one of the tuberose ones just because of the scent. Puakinikini is another lovely scented lei. Yellow plumeria seems to smell better than white plumeria, too. Maile lei are usually a more "formal" lei used for really important occasions. There are probably as many different reasons to choose different flowers to make leis from as there are different leis! It's all good.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here