Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ompus

Source for Miconia Calvescens

ompus
20 years ago

This is substantially a repost from the Tropicals Forum. I live in Florida and am I'm trying to find a source for plants or seeds Miconia calvescens (I have a source, but they're temporaily sold out).

In my quest for Miconia, it occurred to me that I could kill two birds with one stone... Specifically, if I could get someone to go out and yank up some invasive Hawaiian Miconia and send it to me, I'd be relocating a Hawiian pest to a location where it can do no harm.

I'm FULLY aware Miconia calvescens has taken over large swaths of Tahiti and is threatening Hawaii. I know some have taken to calling it the "green cancer." It is therefore reasonable to worry that sending this "green cancer" to Florida would simply be opening up a new opportunity for this pest.

With that being said, I have researched the horticultural requirements of Miconia calvescens and have concluded (along with others) that it is highly unlikely Miconia calvescens could ever thrive outside a protected Florida garden.

First, Miconia naturally occurs in regions that receive more than 70 inches of rain a year. Source. Miami receives only 56 inches. Moreover, March, April and the early part of May are especially dry in South Florida, whereas Miconia requires consistent moisture.

Second, even in the island tropics, Miconia occurs at altitudes below 6500 feet. This suggests that Miconia would be killed by temperatures below 40. Id. Miami routinely gets below 40.

Third, I have spoke directly to respected Florida horticultural authorities who have grown Miconia in Florida and agree it is highly unlikely to thrive in anything but a controlled garden environment.

Fourth, Miconia calvescens, is NOT a category I or II invasive in Florida according to the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council's 2003 List of Invasive Species.

Comments (6)