Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sickly mountain apple tree

Posted by lauralizc Manoa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 14:22

I have a mountain apple tree in my yard that was looking very sickly. It looked like something was eating the leaves (lots of holes) and the leaves were brown and curly around the edges. We moved in to this house mid-summer and the tree never bore any fruit (I think mountain apple trees bear fruit in the late summer, but I could be wrong).

About a week ago, however, I noticed the mountain apple tree dropping lots of leaves and new, healthy looking leaves popping out. Now the tree looks pretty good! Is this shedding normal for a mountain apple tree?

Also, any tips on getting the tree to bear fruit? Do I need to fertilize or water? We live in lower Manoa and get a decent amount of rain but maybe not enough.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sickly mountain apple tree

By the way, how was your Mt. apple tree? How tall is your tree? I ask this question because I planted one in my backyard few weeks ago. I hope that my tree grows here in Waipahu.

o
RE: Sickly mountain apple tree

Stressed trees become more susceptable to pests.

If the holes were in a lacey pattern, it sounds like chinese rose beatles. Not a huge deal unless they are an urgant threat to the trees life/health. I wouldn't worry. Try bying two five dollar compost bags and spreading them around the base of the tree. It should help improve its health and vigor but not emediately. Never hurts, always helps. Especially if the tree don't have decaying organic matter nearby.

If you post pics, we might be of better help. Also, take one of the ground around it.

What parts of the tree are affected? lower leaves? Highest leaves/branches? Whole thing?describe any yellowing.

My guesses:
Water stress- tree wilts temperarily & defoliation near top. Remaining leaves could experience tip necrosis.

Potassium (K) deficiency- lowest leaves experience yellowing at tips progressing to necrosis. Easily corrected unless underlying soil problems are involved.

Overfertilized- e.g. too much Nitrogen can burn leaf tips and harm plant temporarily.

Hard to say. Need pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here