Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to this forum..I'm from Hypertufa..need advise

Posted by hawaii50mom 11Hawaii (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 04 at 14:28

Hello All, I have a dog kennel/runner that I really want to cover with vines..to hide my shed in the background (and my ugly dog house..heheh) But the plants I have there now I am just not happy with...not to mention I am not a gardener ...at all!!! Home Depo loves me, I buy plants by the dozen , cause I have a hard time keeping them alive:) Went through 3 nite blooming Jasmines, and now this one too is not looking good!!
Any how here is my site that shows the kennel...need to know what I can put that will be full and green? That way it will give my little ones shade when there in there.
Thanks
Carole hawaii50mom

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog kennel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to this forum..I'm from Hypertufa..need advise

Thunbergia. Fast, full and lots of flowers.

Let me know if you would like more.
Phil

o

Thanks Konaphil:)

Is it the same as the blackeyed susan vine? I was looking into that vine, also my hubby say's the other one is a pest plant? (whatever that means) but does not want me growing it becouse he say's it will get out of hand?.... So, Other options? :)
Thank you so much:)
Carole ..hawaii50mom

o

One variety of thunbergia is called blackeyed susan vine. By pest i assume he means it is aggressive, spreads a lot and is hard to control. It is aggressive. In the situation you show in your picture, it should be easy to control. It can't grow anywhere but up and over the top. There is nothing for side shoots to attach to, so would be easy to keep pruned.

Blue Jade and red jade vine is similar, but much slower and easier to control and has striking blooms. The blooms make outstanding lei's.

Passion Fruit; but, that is more aggressive than thunbergia.

Pothos (Epiprumnum pinnatum) is a basic. Leaves will grow to 18" long or more. They are green and white or all green. Very neat by itself, or could be mixed with other vines.

Some of the Philodendron's.

Jasmine, but you would have to keep winding it through the fence.

Tomato.

Check these out and let me know.
Good luck.
Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here