Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardening in Makawao

Posted by Gene32 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 19:36

Anybody out there that actually lives in Makawao and has success in growing lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, or chile peppers?

I just do container gardening. So far my efforts have been a great big dud. From a planting in mid December I got a few cherry tomatoes and a few larger tomatoes, but finally all the leaves died and the fruit stopped ripening.
Planted lettuce from seed 1st of Dec; took foreeeeever to get a few plants up. Seed was pelletized Johnny's.
OK, you get the picture.

Anybody living in Makawao have some ideas?
Aloha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardening in Makawao

Are you on Hawaii or Maui? I'm on Oahu. I grow three different peppers, a type of cherry tomato, and a wild cherry tomato that keeps seeding itself all over the place. I have had difficulty growing lettuce lately (the past 5 months) but have several types of long green bunching onions, kale, and collards. Take heart and keep trying. One of the things that really messed me up was the brand of potting soil that I normally used changed their formula. Finally figured it out and switched to another brand. Amount of exposure to sun can also be a factor. Another one that got me was the birds. Those sneaky buggers were eating up the seeds and sprouts as soon as I went back into the house. Slugs will take over the night shift to finish off any young, succulent sprouts that the birds missed...
Well, hope some of this helps. If I can think of anything else, I'll post...

o

Thanks hilee, Yeah I'm here on Maui. Looks like I've got little black critters eating up my lettuce leaves. Harvested a big bowlful, but they're a little tough and not much flavor. Lettuce is romaine; i think I'm going to switch to a type developed by UH. Geez, you can't beat the price of their seeds and I understand the growing results are good.
Thanks again

o

How large or small are the little black critters? If they are not in the slug family, I can say that I have had some modicum of success by spraying liquid soap water with a sprayer about every three days; over and under the leaves of various edible plants. Personally, I haven't tried to grow any more lettuce since I discovered bird nests all over the house and yard...I am outnumbered...As it is, I must get to the ripe tomatoes (around 5:00a.m.) to get to the fruit before the red-butt bird and family get to them first. On a positive note, I have harvested enough tomatoes to add to the family favorite: pasta salad.

o

I recently moved to
hoping to help

Here is a link that might be useful: Tour phú quốc 3 ngày 2 đêm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here