Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ylang Ylang trees -propogate cuttings or buy !

Posted by pueokai 11-Kauai (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 20:28

Anybody on Kauai got one ? / or done this ? I did just get some cuttings ( off of the tree, not the vine) and need a surefire way to propogate them from the cuttings. Even better would like to buy a couple young trees.

Aloha and Mahalo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ylang Ylang trees -propogate cuttings or buy !

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I know they like a lot of moisture. So I got a plastic bag and wet the inside then covered the entire plant. I secured it with string to make sure it wasn't too loose. I also poked holes in the plastic to make sure there's proper ventilation. At first you might have to try different plastic covers. Make sure the one you use can hold a lot of moisture. For instance when you put it under heating pad, does it quickly dry out or does it hold moisture pretty good? I would go with the one that can tolerate the moisture.

As for the watering, I like to keep it more on the dry side but not too dry... just moist enough to where you can feel a little bit of moisture. It's also good to fill a plastic jug or milk carton with tap water and let it sit for at least 7 or 8 hours then use it (water straight from the sink has too much impurities for plants). This has worked extremely well! I've also discovered that bottom heat is VERY important. For the soil, I would go with more of a gritty mix and use lots of perlite. Though I did use fir bark mulch and that has worked well too. As for the lighting requirements I use a cheap grow light I got @ Lowe's for about $12 bucks. I would keep a careful eye on your cuttings if placed in direct sunlight - make sure the leaves don't burn. You might have to get them adjusted to their new environment and only keep them there a little bit at first then increase the amount of light as they get accustomed to their new home.

I've learned through many failed attempts and have become more comfortable with my technique...lol. So you must learn what works for you and what you're comfortable with.

Good Luck!

Bo

o
RE: Ylang Ylang trees -propogate cuttings or buy !

We're you successful with rooting your cuttings?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here