Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interested in Pacific Tall Coconuts

Posted by RRfromFLA Ft. Laud 10B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 22:01

I would like to know of a nursery or private person who ships
Pacific Tall variety coconuts(or sprouted) for growing. Because of their higher tolerance to Lethal Yellowing in comparison to Atlantic Tall I would like to try growing PT by the beach in South Florida.
-Roland

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interested in Pacific Tall Coconuts

You might want to try Kauai nursery and landscaping. Importing/exporting plant material in or out of Hawaii is very restrictive. I know they are licensed to ship inspected plant material out of hawaii. The number is 808-245-7747.

o

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try.
-Roland

o

Aloha,

Check on eBay, some are sold there.

The person in Hawaii sending the coconut would have to remove all the soil from the roots, (then usually wrap them in damp newspaper), take the plant and the box it is to be shipped in to the State Agricultural Inspection Station (check the phone book for locations). After inspecting the plant, the box and noting where it is being shipped to, the inspectors will let the plant be boxed up then the inspectors put red seals all over the box. Then it can be either mailed or shipped via FedEx or UPS or whoever.

If you wanted an unsprouted nut, then it can be mailed like a postcard. Just write the address on the outside and mail it away.

A hui hou,
Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here