Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora/Passion Fruit/Lilikoi - Frederick

Posted by roanimare z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 22:22

Hi - Is the variety Frederick of Passiflora (red fruit) available in Hawaii? If so, is it available at a garden center or nursery -- or do you start it from a friend's plant by cuttings? Any info in appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora/Passion Fruit/Lilikoi - Frederick

I googled Fredrick passifloura and saw pics of the variety that is purple when unripe. I believe those ARE available here.

o

Hi - Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town last week. I'm glad to hear that Hawaii does have the Frederick. Thanks.

o

I also search for the image of Frederick Passion fruit, and it looks very similar to the purple variety I saw at the Oahu Urban Garden Center that they were selling. I bought one plant because I thought the sample fruit they have looks very attractive.

o

I live in California and don't really know if there's a nursery or garden store that sells that variety in Hawaii. :( But, If you can get your hands on some cuttings, I would deeply suggest that you try to root some. I have seen many 'Frederick' passies being grow from cuttings at my local city college. (They have two mature vines) Since that spiecies is a hybrid, you need to propagate them either from cuttings or graft in order to get exactally what you want... (seed grown plants will be unpredictable) Although, I have grown a few from seed myself before knowing of this information. I don't really care which parent side ends up being more dominant just as long as they produce gorgeous flowers and edible fruit, that would be good enough for me. ;)

Hope this is of any help,

Daniel

o

Can someone tell me where to buy lilikoi plants on Oahu?
Thx

o

Hawaiiwahine, I've seen them at Mililani Walmart, all the Koolau Farmers, City Mill Kaimuki, and Home Depot.

o

There is a vendor at the Mililani farmers market that sells the yellow and purple lilikoi. He is usually there most Sundays.

o

I so miss my Passiflora that I had in Hawaii so I am wondering if anyone knows of a place on any of the islands that can mail a plant to Florida? I can find many vines here but none produce fruit and fruit is what I want. Thanks for any information you can give me.

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:09

The purple ones do better at higher elevation (say, 1500 feet, where I live) than the yellow or orange or giant lilikoi. They also grow really well from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here