Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bhut Jolokia

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 2:48

Anyone here had or is growing this so-called extremely hot pepper, the hottest pepper in the world? When I went to the Oahu Urban Garden Center big annual plant sale last February, the vendor was selling it for ten dollar a plant and it was laden with big, bright red, wrinkly Ghost Pepper, which is another name for this chili. A couple rotten fruits were on the ground that was to be discarded, so I just took that. Some of the fruits, too, were ripped open, and people--including me--had a chance to smell it; and it was deeply pungent, slightly irritating my nose that makes me want to sneeze. Even though it was expensive, I should have bought the full grown plant because the seeds that I planted right away are taking too long to reach maturity. It sprouted quickly, though; less than two weeks.

So far, I have separated the seedlings and individually planted them on their own pots couple days ago. This morning, one of the plant's upper leaves was cut by either a slug or a snail; I should have put more Diatomaceous earth on the pots.

This is how the more early robust seedlings look:

Bhut Jolokia

and this is how the small late seedlings look:

Bhut Jolokia

I'll probably give some of this plants to friends and family. Should I tell them how hot it is? It's too bad there is no fruits; it's perfect for tomorrow's April Fool's Day, he he he.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bhut Jolokia

You are very naughty randg!

Lots of folks growing this pepper over on the hot pepper forum. Way too hot for me. i had a terrible infestation of pepper weevils last summer that kept my peppers from setting. i wonder if the Christmas berry trees are hosts? This year i have a plan:

Photobucket

Worked nicely for zucchini earlier this year ; )

o

Wow, that reminds me of a bed with mosquito netting that I used to sleep on when I was a child living in the Philippines! Lol. Agghh...memories.

That is a good plan, Mauirose. Btw, do you harvest those potato leaves?

o

LOL randg, brings a new meaning to 'garden bed' doesn't it?

i got a few tubers from those sweet potato leaves last year but mainly use them to shade the metals sides of that raised bed and keep the grass away. i have tried eating them a few times (steamed and seasoned) but i am still developing my taste buds ; )

Oops, don't want to hi-jack your thread! OK, back on topic. Here is a link with recipes and a fun story about a young Indian woman who likes to grind the chile up and smear them on her eyeballs when she gets bored. Don't try this at home...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bhut recipes and a story

o

I read about that Bhut story, LOL! I also read that in India they use it as elephant deterrent; they smeared this bhut jolokia chili paste on the fences. If I have enough peppers I want to grind them up and spray them on the plant to keep the pest muncher away, but with my little nephew running around that would be a bad idea.

Another seedling has been a casualty of being munch by a slug this morning, there were no trace that a plant is even there! In another pot, a slug is slowly dying because of the Diatomaceous earth, its body is covered and oozing with slime [evil grin].

The good news is I thought all the seeds of the Bhut Jolokia has sprouted, but I was wrong. I think about 5 new seeds has sprouted.

o

It's going to fruit...

Bhut Jolokia flower bud

o

I'm fairly new to gardening, and to complicate my already shaky skills, I just moved to a higher elevation in Kona (up to 400' from sea level). I have a Ghost Pepper plant that I've moved to my new home, its in a big container. I have lots of blossoms, but they keep dropping. I've read alot about temperature issues, and I'm wondering if thats the problem. The plant is in the sun on my lanai, I would guess maybe the day time temp might get to 90, and overnight maybe 70. Just wondering if there is any hope, and what I might b able to try. Crazy thing is the plant was doing great where it was hotter.

o

Perhaps that plant is still acclimating to its new environment? Ghost Pepper definitely prefers hot climate.

Currently I have no Bhut Jolokia, I should have saved me some seeds! I got busy, then the excitement of having the plant worn off, and then got even busier--the one plant that I was hoping to get some seeds of then suddenly died.

Alexanna, don't make my mistakes by not saving the seeds if your plant does bear some fruits. What you can do for now, if it's not too much work, is bring it inside at night when the temperature is cool? Or if your house has a brick wall facing the sun, you could put your plants against it so it could received some of it's warmth at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here