Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liliko'i

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 6:00

My liliko'i vine, passion fruit, started flowering since a few weeks ago. The passion fruit I have is the purple variety. Anyone here are growing liliko'i, too? If so, are you having problems with it not able for the flower to become a fruit?

I'm starting to think that I may need another vine so they could cross pollinate to fruit. I don't have problem with bees, in fact there is a hive of carpenter bees next to my passion vine. These carpenter bees are using my old bamboo sticks as their hives! The passion fruit keeps flowering, but whenever I touch them after the bloom are spent they just keep falling off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liliko'i

Could it be nutrient related? Have you been feeding it?

o

Purple lilikois are supposed to be self fertile. Is this the first year for your vine to bear?

o

When I planted this lilikoi, the main purpose was to screen for the neighbor's prying eyes. I haven't feeding it and I should do that right away. This is the first time it flower, never had it fruit. Just planted it last year. Perhaps they don't know what they are doing, yet? He he he. Good to know the purple variety is self-sterile.

I forgot that I have a book "Growing Fruits in Hawai'i" by Kathy Oshiro and she recommends to plant several plants, since cross-pollination is necessary for successful crop. I don't know if this applies to all varieties of lilikoi.

It's my first time seeing, touching, and smelling the Passion Flower. It's quite fragrant and the flower is extraordinary. The ants loves it, too.

Lilikoi

This is what the flower ends up, unfortunately.

Lilikoi

And here is the few of several bamboos I have that the carpenter bees decided to make a home of. These bamboos is protecting the propagation cuttings and seedlings underneath from the hot mid-noon sun. These bees sometimes startle me whenever I check the plants; the bees inside give this loud vibrating buzz sound like someone is being briefly tased.

Bamboo

o

Check for ants. Whenever I have an infestation of big, black ants on my lilikoi vine, the flowers die and fall off. Maybe they eat all the pollen, I don't know. I put a few outdoor Terro ant traps by the base of the plant and the ants mostly go away.

o

Trying to get liliko'i started from seed but they do not seem to sprout even though the seeds from a well dried fruit was used. also tried a few cuttings but they never took root. Is there some secret to this? I live in Kihei.

o

Lilikois take about one month to sprout from seed, the from there it takes about one year to flower, for best fruit production plant about 4 plants maybe 2 yellows and 2 purples the can cross pollinate and you get more fruit.

o

I know you can grow the purple ones at elevation, not sure if they don't do well at sea level or what.

I'm at 1500 feet; the purple blooms and fruits like crazy (though not right now).

The yellow,orange, and giant lilikoi don't do much of anything for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here