Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taffyj_gw

Looking for Pi'i Ali'i taro. Where should I look?

taffyj
19 years ago

Hi,

I'm in Louisiana, and have been growing collector garden variety alocasia, colocasia, and xanthosoma (elephant ears) for a few years now. I have known they could be used for food, but I didn't know which ones to use. So, now I have done some little research, and have found that a colocasia esculenta variety called Pi'i Ali'i is good for making poi, also for eating the leaves. I was really excited when I saw that poi has many nutrients, and much less calories than rice.

I live in a small city, and there are no markets here that sell taro or kalo. I think my only hope is to get in touch with someone on the internet who knows how I can get some. I already have 16 different kinds of taro, but they are the more ornamental kind. This Pi'i Ali'i sounds much better for eating. It is a special kind, and is supposed to ooze red sap when cut, and have cup-shaped leaves, and make a reddish-purple poi.

I will continue my search, but if y'all have any info for me, that would be wonderful. Thanks so much! And Happy Gardening!

Bridget in Louisiana