Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hawaiin gardening & climate

Posted by amylilac7 6 (amyjwhite7@gmail.com) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 13:20

Hi, what is it like living in different parts of Hawaii?
The climate, gardening, people, etc. I may be moving there if my daughter's boyfriend gets sent there (Coast Guard)....
I have 2 little granddaughters I'm so close to, so I would try to move also. Any advise? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hawaiin gardening & climate

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 1:39

Very expensive. But you might like the climate etc. State is broken up into a chain of islands, most on the small side for someone used to living on a major continent. And these are far enough apart from one another that "hopping" between them is primarily undertaken using jets and ships.

And much of the natural scenery is very beautiful. Only major urban area is Honolulu and vicinity, with some of same sprawl and blight as might be seen in any other such place - including the obscenity of an airport runway built on top of a coral reef (probably you will be landing on it when you first arrive).

Otherwise mostly farms, roads and small communities on the flats with rugged mountains behind.

There is enough racial tension that Rolling Stone once ran an entire article about it. Hawaiian name for foreigner - haole - began to be used specifically in reference to Caucasians some time ago.

They're all represented there by headstones now, but until a few years ago my father's side of the family had a continuous presence in Hawaii dating back well into the 19th century. I have been there many times.

Sunset Publishing splits the state into two climate zones, a lowland one and a highland one - the main difference between them being temperatures. Within the state there are high mountains (including a snow capped peak, the tallest mountain in the world if you measure from the bottom of the ocean) and very dry deserts, as well as some of the wettest places on earth.

o
RE: hawaiin gardening & climate

"Very Expensive"

Ha ha ha. How true!

The rest of the information is also true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here