Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloha! Your help please?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 12, 06 at 17:24

I'm wondering if someone local from the Islands can tell me which variety of tropical hibiscus is best in the tree form. Any names or sources where I can order one? I live in central Illinois and the local nursery only had a few orange ones... I'm looking for something more yellow/white/pink? Thanks in advance.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloha! Your help please?

I have to admit that I have only a passing interest in hibiscus. The modern hybrids (big, thick, colorful petals) that I see in yards around Honolulu are usually grown short, usually no more than 5 ft. in height. I don't know if they will grow to tree height. I also see a variety that is not a modern hybrid, with narrow, thin pink and white petals, growing to about 15 ft. in height. The individual flower may not be much to look at, but it is profuse, so in its entirety it is quite something to behold. But that is only my opinion, as others may see it as only a common pink hibiscus.

I go to a farmer's market where a lady named Jill Coryell sells hibiscus. Known as "The Hibiscus Lady," she has over the years hybridized thousands of varieties. I'm sure she will be able to give you some ideas of varieties that will fit your needs. Her email address is:

hibiscuslady@hawaii.rr.com

o
RE: Aloha! Your help please?

I was thinking some more about your question. If you're going to grow a hibiscus tree, it might be better to select a variety where the flowers "look down," or have a droopy look. Most of the modern hybrids "look up," so if they grow into a tree and you view them from below, all you will see are the undersides of the flowers. If I remember correctly, there's an old variety called "Japanese Lantern" or "Chinese Lantern" that looks down. It's red and has frilly petals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here