Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grammatophyllum

Posted by joev h2 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 20:11

We recently purhcased a scriptum variety and it has just passed its blooming cycle. It has 4 large pseudobulbs and is filling about 3/4 of a standard black deep nursery 8 inch pot. We are on the ocean and have everything from shade to almost full sun. I can find lots of info about conditions but not much on potting needs. My temptation is to put up into a much larger (16") wooden half-barrel using lava rock and putting it where it gets max water. Or should I leave it alone in its current pot until the roots start coming out of the pot?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grammatophyllum

I do not raise this particular orchid but this web site indicates that a rich cimbidium media is about right for this orchid.

http://www.speciesorchids.com/GRAMMATOPHYLLUMELEGANS.html

o
RE: grammatophyllum

I have this variety however mine is not as large as yours. My experience with almost all my orchids are that they bloom more frequently when they are a little tight in the pot. This type although the leaves are more soft and pliable can grow in full sun. I have mine in a bark mix in full sun. I think lava rock would be fine as a growing medium as well. I think if you pot it up in too large of a pot, the plant tends to put a lot of it's energy into filling the pot with more root growth which can delay blooming. Hope this helps a little. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here