Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindakona_gw

Tea - camellia sinensis

Lindakona
20 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy camellia sinensis (tea) plants in Kona?

I'm looking for a few plants for my own personal use.

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (9)

• KonaPhil
    20 years ago

Aloha Linda
    I am interested in camellia sinensis for my own use also. Doesn't look like we will get a response. I'll let you know if I run across any.
    Phil

• Forrest_Latta
    20 years ago

Try calling Randy Takaki at Volcano Camellias, 985-8756. Good luck! ... Forrest

• BrianB
    19 years ago

logee's nursery
    www.Logees.com

They have it and olifera, the oil producing camelia.

• hotzcatz
    19 years ago

Garden Exchange in Hilo has them sometimes and they are inexpensive there, too.

Francis Zee at the Hilo University does a lot with tea although I don't know if he has any plants available.

• mike_hi
    17 years ago

Try the Hawaii tea Society's Web page and look for the 'Get Plants' link. http://hawaiiteasociety.org

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Tea Society

• siegel2
    17 years ago

Pacific Coast Tropicals has some beautiful tea plants.

They are in Kea'au.

Cell: 808-896-6183

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Coast Tropicals

• beesnfruit
    17 years ago

Hotzcatz,

Just a little correction (2 years later): Francis Zee is with USDA, ARS (Agricultural Research Service) not UH Hilo - we feds like to have proper recognition of who pays our salary (ultimately the taxpayer, of course).

Allen

• hotzcatz
    17 years ago

Aloha Allen,

Ooopers! Sorry about confusing Mr. Zee with the University folks. He had a tea tasting at the Waimea research plot and he had mentioned a tea tasting at the University as well and somehow I thought he worked there. He is at least some sort of Official Plant Person who works with camellia sinensis.

There were some seeds available at the tea tasting and I've been trying to grow tea at my house. At a 400 foot elevation and about 90 - 110 inches of rain a year, it doesn't seem to be thriving as well as it does at the higher and probably cooler Waimea location. I don't fertilize things much, just weed and occasional watering if it doesn't rain for a week or two. I may try mulching around the plants and see if they go better. The tea plants are also on the windward side of the house in a half day of full sun. They may prefer the leeward side of the house, maybe I'll move one and see if it gets happier.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

• beesnfruit
    17 years ago

Cathy,
    No problem. Francis Z is a researcher and in charge of the USDA, ARS, Plant Introduction Station on Stainback Highway above Hilo. It is in cooperation with UH and it may be state land.
    I grew tea in a pot here in Baton Rouge, where it is definitely not cool in the summer. I used a pine bark based mix and fertilized fairly often.
    I checked the Sunset Western Garden Book and it says camellias need well-drained soil that is rich in organic matter and mulched. They need partial shade, especially when young. That is, treat them like an open-forest understory plant. Sunset suggested planting them on the north side of a house, keeping them mulched and fertilizing with an acid-loving-plant fertilizer (azalea fertilizer).

I would guess your plants need less midday sun, mulch (compost if you have it) and a little fertilizer - assuming you have them in well draining soil.

Good luck. I would like to hear how they do, since I plan to plant some when we retire to Hawaii in a few years.
    Allen
    Baton Rouge, LA and HPP