Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restocking Very Small Pond With Water Lilies

Posted by tao1 Hawaii (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 0:31

I have leased a house that has a very, very small pond at the entrance to the walkway and used to have water lilies blooming until a pond service man came and killed everything. Now there are a few fish and lots of algae and an overgrowth of plants around the pond. It was so beautiful and I have decided to clean it up and restock it with water lilies as a gesture of gratitude for the beauty that was and could again be. I know nothing about it. I can trim the plants and clean up the algae but I need and welcome advice on the water lilies. What do I get and where do I get them and what do I do to have them bloom? Is there someone who is overstocked and would like to share? I live in Kailua-Kona. Mahalo!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restocking Very Small Pond With Water Lilies

I have a small (about 20 gallons) ceramic pot with fish and blooming water lillies. Before I started I went to the web to get advice and found conflicting information. What works for me is very small fish (actually Endlers livebearers about 1 inch long) and one of the smaller species of white water lillies. The small fish prevent any insect problems and provide the nutrients for the water lilys. I neither feed the fish nor fertilize the lillies. The lillies are planted in plain clay soil (comes in a 1 cubic foot bag at Home Depot called topsoil) in a standard plastic pot about 6 inches square and 4 inches deep. Any soil that sinks will work fine. I have tried potting soil and most of it floats and sand packs to tightly. The location needs at least 2 hours a day of sun to bet my species of lilly to bloom but 4 is better. I average about three blooms per day all year long. All I add is water when the rain is not sufficient. The water is clear and there is no aeration.

o

thanks for starting and advising on this thread! We just discovered a pond on our property, and have been fantasizing about turning it into a "water feature"
Lee

o

There are sources on the big island for water lilies and other plants suitable for a water feature. Also many native rushes and water loving plants for the shoreline would be interesting. Most natives are available at Amy Greenwell in Capt Cook. All are easy to grow. Good luck.

o

If you have a "water" feature or pond the place to start is water lilies. As I said above, small pots with "top" soil (in Hawaii that is heavy clay soil in plastic bags at Home Depot) with water lilies that can be purchased at various stores or if you cant find anything I can mail you some. I have to get them inspected before they can be shipped or if not that then I can have you purchase some from my son in Pahoa and I can deliver them. It is not difficult. If you want fish use small ones. If not use a chemical to prevent mosquitoes from developing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here