Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyday_gw

Can Cacao be grown anywhere in Hawaii?

happyday
18 years ago

Can the Food of the Goods be grown anywhere in Hawaii? Has anyone grown it or known anyone else who could grow it, and if so, where did they get the fresh seed?

Comments (12)

• babette11
    18 years ago

Yes for sure it is grown on the Big island. I would thinkj the other islands too would have it growing if they wanted to.
    I'll see if I can recall who had fresh seed. You might do a google search for it on the Big island maybe someone will sell it.

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

It grows on Oahu, but you don't see it a lot. It's basically an understory plant that needs a fair amount of protection. It would not do well if placed out in full sun, the best thing is to grow it under some taller trees. The form is kind of loose and lax, and the pods are quite susceptible to fungal disease.

• PLANTANA
    18 years ago

YOU CAN GET IT FROM FRANKIES NURSERY IN WAIMANALO. I JUST WENT THERE TODAY TO BUY A MARANG AND MANGOSTEEN. THEIR FRUIT SELECTION IS AWESOME.

THEY CAN TELL YOU HOW TO GROW IT.

• pestocat
    18 years ago

The minimum temperature should be about 50 deg. F. Check the Hawaiian Chocolate Factory in Kailua-Kona.
    pestocat

• marcymont
    18 years ago

The cacao growers are organizing under the Cacao Growers Chapter of the Hawaiian Tropical Fruit Growers Assoc and are starting meetings in Kainaliu (So Kona) at the Ag Extnsion office. There have been 2 workshops so far this year - both excellent - with growers, scientists and chocolatiers presenting / exchanging information. As an emerging industry, all sizes of cacao production is welcomed in Hawaii.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawiian Education Organization with cacao activities

• PLANTANA
    18 years ago

I live in Niu Valley and my cacao plant is thriving. I planted it under a larger tree.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

One thing that must be stressed. They don't like sat spray/air, so if you're at sea level, near the beach, they won't do well there.

• randg
    12 years ago

At Oahu Urban Garden, they have a Cacao tree that is growing and bearing fruits/pods. Just walk through the "Board Walk" and you will find it.

Next Month is Arbor Day in Hawaii, and one of the list that Hawaiian Electric Company and Partners will be giving away is a Cacao tree/seedling. I hope I don't regret mentioning this because I will try to come early to get that chocolate tree and if I end up coming late I'm crossing my finger that there is one more left for me.

• randg
    12 years ago

I went to Pearl City Walmart this afternoon and I saw that they have this large Cacao Tree! It could have been taller, but it was pruned probably for easier handling. It's unfornate that it was so expensive, it's $75 for one I think. There is a small sign that it does not like it's current place, some of the edges of the leaves are dry and turning brown because it does get a bit of direct sunlight. If someone is still interested you should buy it quickly or the plant will barren of leaves soon.

They also have Jackfruit if you are interested. I should have found out where these tree originated or grown from.

• randg
    12 years ago

I jinxed myself! I was so confident that I'll come early, I even timed and placed my alarm clock next to my pillow--and this morning when that alarm clock went off I didn't even realize what I did. I turned it off and went back to sleep. LOL!

At 8:00, I rushed to go to OUGC, dismayed there is no line and was confirmed what I already knew--all the free plants, except a Kului plant, is gone.

Oh, well. The great news is I bought the last remaining Pandanus, and a spiky ornamental pineapple--it's unrooted, but I'm positive it will grow roots soon. As usuall, both are so cheap compared to a store price.

A lady told me that the line for the giveaway started before 7, and I should come before the opening next year. I'll keep that in mind.

• cherylquest
    12 years ago

I have a plant that I posted on exchanges forum to give/trade (Big Island)

• randg
    12 years ago

It's unfortunate that your Cacao plant is unhappy at your area and have to be uprooted and give/trade to someone else, cherylquest.

You should have been in Oahu during Arbor day, they were giving out mountain apple trees. I have Mountain Apple in my backyard for more than two years, and it's not happy.

I acquired cacao pods for the seeds a few weeks ago to be planted, and I'm surprised that when I open it, the seeds are already sprouted. Now, that seedlings has grown a few leaves and I'm acclimating some of it out of the humid condition they are encase in.

Good luck on your exchange for the cacao plant you have.

Sponsored