Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visiting Hawaii in Oct.

Posted by Brettfl FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 7:54

I will be coming to Hawaii in Oct. and probably stay on Oahu. Can anyone tell me a few MUST see places?? Would love to hear about them. You can email me at Bforte5361@aol.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visiting Hawaii in Oct.

• Posted by kekoa Z11 Kauai HI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 05 at 22:03

Is this more for garden related topics? If not, try fodors travel forum under hawaii. You can get a lot of help there!

o

Sorry.. Yes it is a garden related interest. I'm interested in plumerias and everything else the could come under garden related. I'll be staying on the north shore of Oahu.

o

If you're SERIOUSLY interested in plumerias... I know a breeder on the north shore, if you wanted to call him.

If you just want to look at some pretty plants, Waimea Audobon center (formerly Waimea Falls park, now under new management with a "greener" emphasis than before) is nearby. Lyon Arboretum is well worth the drive into town; also there's a plumeria grove right before the entrance to Koko Crater botanic garden, although the garden itself is somewhat sparse (a work in progress, mostly dry-growing species, whereas Lyon is more of a rainforest environment).

I wouldn't exactly call this a "must-see garden", but does anyone besides me think they did a really nice job landscaping Ala Moana Shopping Center? They managed to use a fair amount of native plants, as well as some pretty unusual exotics, and it all looks lush and harmonious. Something nice to look at as you're hustling between Sears and Macy's!

o

Thank you for the info. I'm interested in plumerias. I would love to be able to collect some. Does your friend allow to take cuttings?? Let me know.
Brett

o

I'm sure he'd sell you some, he's in business (you can see a lot of his hybrids in the Stokes catalog). If you email me, I can try and find his phone number.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here