Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of soil pH in HI?

Posted by bambooo 6 CT USA (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 13:02

I am growing some gingers of the type the tourists bring back from vacation in HI. No doubt some of them are invasive weeds in HI.
What I need to know is what kind of soil pH is HI in the places these things grow.
Thanks
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of soil pH in HI?

Aloha Tom,

Acid soil, I'd suppose. Most of it is around here. Gingers usually grow in the understory with humus and such. Moist, damp, loose soil with lots of compost and they will probably be happy.

How are they doing?

A hui hou,
Cathy

o
RE: What kind of soil pH in HI?

Gingers aren't native to Hawaii, so it doesn't really matter what our soil is, they grow throughout the tropics. What kind of conditions they'll grow in depends on what kind you bought. For example, if you have White Ginger (Hedychium coronarium), it's going to be quite a bit more tolerant of cold weather than the Red or Pink Ginger (Alpinia purpurata). Check out the ginger forum for more information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here