Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deusse

strawberries in containers in hawaii...stay with me here

deusse
19 years ago

okay, i'm not sure if this should go in the container forum or this forum or the garden experiements forum, but here goes:

i just recently read about an invention that a man in Africa dreamed up. he found that a clay pot (terracotta, i assume) placed inside a larger clay pot with a layer of wet sand all around in between the pots kept items inside the smaller pot cool, like a natural refrigeration. are you following me here? i'm not describing very well -- a small pot within a sand filled large pot, and the sand is kept wet.

apparently, the items inside the pot (food, in his case) were kept cool, about 50 degrees or so.

SO...if i planted say, strawberries, inside a similar type of arrangement and kept them cool for a few months, would they do well in hawaii? i'm from kahaluu and i'm moving back there after i'm done with school, but i've fallen in love with alpine strawberries and other plants that require chill time...like ranunculous.

does anyone out there want to try this experiment and let me know what happens? :)

aloha!

heidi hansen-young

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists