Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Windbreaks.

Posted by angrymoon (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 21:58

I've been frustrated lately about the 20-30 mph winds at my house. A couple weeks ago, we had gusts that were about 60 mph, and it literally sucked the moisture out of all of my plants. I need plant suggestions for a natural windbreak, and something that will grow fast in a couple months.

My dad hasn't been too big of help because he doesn't like certain types of plants and thinks a six-foot-tall fence is going to help. Plus, he wants something that is low maintenance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Windbreaks.

My house is super windy as well. Everything dries up like crazy!! it really helps to lay mulch around. I get it from the neighborhood gardens

look here: http://www.hacdhawaii.org/districts/oahuwindbreaks.pdf good luck ! :>

o

Would Bougainvillea be an option? Acacia? Kunzia? Olearia? Melaleuca? Metrosideros - if you're right by the sea? Banksia? Cordyline, so long as it doesn't drop leaves Everywhere?

If you plant in a double row then it helps to break the wind and turbulence better. I'd go for shrubs and even grasses rather than trees. They don't fall so far in a high wind. :-)))

PS beware of anything that 'grows quickly'. It's usually a nightmare waiting to happen.

o

How much space do you have? How much maintenance are you willing to do?

o

Where do you live? How much rain do you get? 2 of the best are pigeon peas (short term) to be followed by madre de cacao Other permanent windbreak plants I can suggest; however, it depends on your rainfall/elevation. Let us know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here