Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geiger tree

Posted by DAZED77 Z11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 13:19

Hi there, I recently came across a small geiger tree as I was driving alongside the beach. The orange flowers looked so beautiful! I got a hardwood cutting of it, dipped it in rooting hormone and planted it in my backyard. I am wondering if this is the right method? Will roots develop from a hardwood cutting? I appreciate any information. Thanks!

Here is a picture of the parent:

Link also:

Here is a link that might be useful: orange flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geiger tree

I'm not very good with cuttings. But I would reccomend growing this tree from seed. The seeds of "kou" (Hawaiian for Cordia subcordata) are in the hard woody fruits. The are a few seed to each fruit (fruits resemble nuts and should be cracked or smashed open). I have two seedlings that are both roughly over a foot tall. I uprooted these seedlings when the only leaves they had were their seed leaves. They just popped out of the red dirt (since theres kou trees planted in the landscape here) Roots should be stronger and growth should be quick. From my experience this plant is not very picky about soil, and it will tolerate being in a container for relativelty long periods of time (my two plants have been in four inch green pots for more than half a year and they still show slow but healthy growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here