Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tristypoo1997

Hawaiian Ocean View/ Ranchoes

Tristan Pierson
9 years ago

To start off, I know it doesn't rain a lot and it's on an old lava flow. I could see myself moving there because I hate grass and would want my yard to look like a botanical garden, just plants and trees, no grass and weeds.
My questions are, do things like palms, citrus, bananas, and dragon fruit like the volcanic rock? Will they ever get city or county water to rely on?
I know that if i lived there I'd probably have to dig or drill into the rock where i wanted to plant something and add soil. that's okay. I feel like each of the plants will mean more to me because I will have to do more work to grow them.
I'm only 17, but I like to explore and plan my future. I'm my generations plant nut. :)

Comments (2)

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I've put a link to the HOVE facebook page below so you can talk directly to people who live there.

It's a pretty big area and ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand feet in elevation. That makes for a bunch of different plant zones. Figure out which one you want to live in. I like about 1000 to 1500 feet--it's cooler than sea level but not so cold you need a fire or heater.

My biggest problem with the area (I used to live "around the corner" in Naalehu) is that it's really far from any substantial town. I think they have a pretty good grocery store, and probably an Ace Hardware, and even a restaurant or two. But you'll have to make periodic runs to Kona or Hilo to stock up on stuff.

I believe they're putting in a well in HOVE, but most houses will still have rainwater catchment. FYI, there's no city, it's all county on the whole island. But I think it's the community association building the well, not the county.

Dragon fruit will love it; I'm on the east (wet) side of the island, and have to keep them in the greenhouse so they don't get wet.

Palms and citrus should do well, but may need watering, especially while getting established. I don't know about bananas. I would expect they'd do OK, but would need regular watering.

Think about planting above ground; find a depression in the lava (it's not all flat, there are lots of waves, dips, crests, and pukas--holes), then dump a mound of mulch and cinder. Add plant and hope for the best.

good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: HOVE facebook page

• steiconi
    9 years ago

I've been thinking about this. I tried to stay upbeat about HOVE in my previous post, but...
    I expect you're excited about the area because it's cheap. But a bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist.

If you want to garden, you need soil and water. HOVE has very little of either. I strongly recommend you consider areas that have either soil or water or both. Hamakua would be my choice, but it's out of my price range. Look at Puna district--not a lot of soil, but plenty water, and some areas are nearly as cheap as HOVE.

Finally, DO NOT BUY SIGHT UNSEEN. That just leads to tears. Come here, rent or house sit or Wwoof* in different areas and figure out what works for you.

*WwOOFERS are volunteer/low paid workers on organic farms. This might be great for you, check it out at the link below. There are 80 Wwoof farms in Hawaii...

Here is a link that might be useful: WWOOF

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County