Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making leis

Posted by Anakaleki z9 S.E. Tex (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 04 at 14:54

Are there any books or websites that you know of that show instructions on how to weave those leis made with ti leaves? I have so many that I've pruned of and I don't want to thow them away, they're so beautiful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making leis

Here you go... I glanced over it and it looks good...

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Hawaiian Lei

o
wrong URL

ack! wrong website... just a sec and I will try and find the right one...

Sorry!

o
Better Website

Okay, try this one.. it doesn't give specific instructions, but hope it helps...

Aloha n,

Mokihana

o
Sorry... here it is...

Still getting used to how the forum works...

well, I can't get the link to work.. here it is..

http://www.kaahelehawaii.com/pages/lei.htm

o

There are quite a few different ways to make leis out of ti leaves. You could strip the rib and braid them and leave the tips sticking out when ever you braid in another leaf section, or you can make sort of a continuing rosette out of them. Basically take the rib out of the leaf and put a running stitch through each half leaf and then twist them as they are pushed down onto the string. Or put a half twist on the leaf between stitches, that would make a nice full lei, too. Then you'd have fat ti leaf leis and use up a lot more leaves. I've also seen them made into rosettes for hatbands.

o

OK, I FINALLY figured out how to make the ti leis. I've been searching all over the web and found two obscure websites that talk about how to make the twisted ti leis. Both had very vague instructions that took some experimentation to figure out but I got it down. If anyone else is interested I can post instructions and maybe some pics.

o

Hey Anakeleki,
If you still have some pics avail that would be great.

o

Hey, you folks better get busy, Lei Day coming up you know! What kind you gonna make? I already got my tickets for the Cazimeros, and since Robert's men won Merrie Monarch this year, they should be in an extra good mood. (Sorry, mainland guys, I'll celebrate for you!)

Malama pono,
-Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here