Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_mariaelena

Black Spots On Bell Pepper Leaves

organic_mariaelena
15 years ago

I've noticed black spots forming on one of my bell pepper plants. I'm assuming it's some sort of disease. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments (4)

• garden_isle_dave
    15 years ago

Aloha Marialena,

Im not sure about your specific problem, I havent seen anything like that before personally, though I assume it might be a disease =/ Is it on all of the leaves,(new, old, both?) specific parts of the leaves, stems? Ill look in one of the books I found recently and see if there's anything like it. Are you able to take a photo of it to post by chance? Could possibly help a little with ID.

I have been trying, with mediocre success, to grow different peppers here on Kauai, had some deadly problems with them recently though. Lost pretty much all of them over the last few weeks, 5 plants and 3 or 4 different kinds. I tried more water, less water, more sun, less sun, nothing seemed to work. I fertilized them, didnt, over the course of a few months and only one thing really seemed to bring them back.

I took them out of the pots, shook/rinsed all of the soil off of the roots, and replanted them bare-rooted in the ground. Took about 2 weeks, but the dead/unhealthy leaves fell off, and knew growth appeared. They looked good for about a week, and grew a few flowers, but then headed back downhill. They were in about 50 percent shade. I just let the rain water them, or if we didnt get any for a few days wet them a little bit, but made sure not to "drown" them out.

My bell pepper got about 2/3'rds the right size, then the leaves all turned yellow between the veins, the fruit quit growing, and the leaves began to curl at the edges. The fruit eventually began to fall off the stem, so I chopped it up n used it, tasted alright =p but the chickens knocked the weak plant over the next day.
    (Im currently seeing if it will come back like the original peppers did, re-planted the bare-root stalk.)

The problems Ive had were with Chili(regular n HI kine), Anaheim, Sweet Hybrids, Jalapeno, and Pepercinnis.

Hopefully someone can help us out, lol. Talk to you soon and thanks in advance anyone n everyone,

~Dave
    Kauai, Hawaii

• organic_mariaelena
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dave,

I took a couple of pictures, just can't seem to figure out how to post them.
    I think I was watering them too much. I moved the pots and reduced the water and the bell pepper plants seem to be doing much better. I also grow jalepeno's...this is my first year gardening in Hawaii...so I'll keep you posted on how they turn out.
    All and all, I've been pleased with how my plants are doing. I'm not particularly happy with the snails and slugs; however, after many nights out in the garden with flashlights..I believe I've at least slowed them down.
    What else do you grow?

Maria

• garden_isle_dave
    15 years ago

Hey there,

Sorry for the late late response, cant seem to figure out how to get the email alerts for replies to my messages...Hmmmm....I just upload my images to the site "Photobucket.com" and post the link for people to copy n paste into their address bar =/ works unless there are tons of photos to post, lol.
    I did the same and they're turning out alright, glad you figured it out too! Only problem are the slugs n snails, and the chickens, but thats a whole other story...
    I just got done spreading chili pepper powder around my few tomato plants to keep the slugs n snails off of them, seems to have worked so far, but its going to be a constant battle Im sure. Between killing them myself, all the toads and chickens around here(they both love the slugs), and the chili powder, I think I have them beat..for now.
    I grow pretty much anything I can find actually!
    I have some venus flytraps, the tomatoes, strawberries, a small bonsai or two, a bunch of shell and vertical ginger, 3 or 4 kinds of cannas(Indian Shot(red orange and yellow versions) and large Canna Lillies, Cooks Pine, hibiscus of all kinds, trying to find more contantly, working on different color plumeria trimmings, mountain apples, a few different ferns(Staghorns, Luau, working on Tree ferns, etc.) heliconia of all kinds, have the red and yellow hanging, a few vertical species, pink, orange, etc. Im pretty much just gathering all that I can, lol! We have yardsales up here in the wailua homesteads, and I put the plants out all the time, in the last 6 weeks Ive made about 180 or so in plants alone XD People really like the ginger and stuff, I put good plants out super cheap, do it mostly just to fund my gathering, lol. Im working on Tahitian Jasmine and Gardenia cuttings right now, have about 10 or so of each, and will be trading some with the neighbor for some various rose cuttings. Constantly gathering orchids, though I only have about 4 kinds, could get expensive if I decide to go all out =p
    If you're on Kauai n are interested in any of it, lemme know either on here or email me, and we can do some trades or something, take it light til I talk to ya next!

Aloha,
    ~Dave
    P.S. If anyone reads this, Im looking for the following plants, trimmings/rhizomes preferred if not an already started one;

Puakenikeni,
    ANY Heliconia or Cannas,
    Wild Plantain, any color, have yet to obtain some!
    and pretty much any other interesting plants, lemme know what you have and Ill let ya know what I currently have, we can throw up a trade or Ill just buy a few trimmings if not crazy expensive! =p
    Mahalo!

• organic_mariaelena
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I moved my bell peppers and slowed the watering..they seem to be doing better. I've got three jalepeno plants and they seem to be doing well...but they haven't bloomed yet.
    Everything else seems to be doing well except my yellow squash. Do you grow yellow squash? Any pointers. Overall...I'm happy. My tomatoes and lettuce are doing great. Having mediocre success with the eggplant...
    I'm just sort of trial by error approach.

maria