Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mailing plants to Hawaii

Posted by tristanpierson 6b (tristanpierson@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:46

Hi everyone, my name is Tristan and I live in Oregon. My life plan is to go to medical school then move to the Kona area on the big island. Here in Oregon I'm growing 4 different varieties of bananas, I have 2 palm trees, 3 papaya, 1 avocado, a grapefruit and lemon trees. My idea is to ship those to Hawaii when I move, but I'm worried about the USDA or something not letting me mail them. I need information on how to do this because it would be tragic if I couldn't take them with me. Thank you! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mailing plants to Hawaii

No palms of any kind can be shipped to HI.

The rest must be declared, inspected, and forms filled out from the plant quarantine folks...usually with a fee associated.

Your citrus and papaya will be heavily inspected...probably the avocado, too.

Keeping disease/pests/animals that aren't on the islands already from getting onto the islands is a huge concern that they monitor closely.

o
RE: Mailing plants to Hawaii

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/travel-shipping-information/

That link is the Hawaii Plant Inspection folks. Here is a handy page which lists how to bring in plants from various places: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/import-program/plant-guidelines/ You may have to do a copy and paste into your browser window to get to the links since I'm not sure how to put them into the page here.

For some reason, they won't allow palms from the mainland, but you can bring them in from foreign countries if you have the proper paperwork.

Shipping plants in usually requires them to have no soil so either bare root or some sort of soil-less medium is used on the roots.

All of those plants you've mentioned are easily found in Hawaii in all sorts of varieties. A lot of folks get trees from Plant It Hawaii: http://plantithawaii.com/ They are a plant wholesaler, but they have big sales twice a year where folks can just get one or two trees. There are also big plant sales by the Big Island Association of Nurserymen (BIAN) sales. Those sales have all sorts of plants. If you need more banana plants, folks will give them to you when theirs make too many keiki. Papaya sprout when you are eating a papaya outside and just toss the seeds on the ground. Papaya are also a fairly short lived tree/plant, so it might be time for a new one when you move.

If it gets too expensive or difficult to ship the trees, you could perhaps bring cuttings and start new avocado, grapefruit and lemon trees from the cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii Plant Import website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here