Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut flowers besides Ginger and heliconia

Posted by chadalways none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 17:53

Any suggestions on what flowers would be good for cemetery vases? Tropicals or not... Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut flowers besides Ginger and heliconia

anthurium last well, so do orchids.

o

cut small anthuriums are excellent. They are colorful, last well and can put up with the heat and don't pollute their water like other flowers do.

Get them from Rainforest at Kilohana Square, they last 2-3 weeks.

o

A new plant that I acquired is a great cut flowers. The plant is called Jatropha, they didn't give me the scientific name, just the genus. I bought the last two plants, as well as the two sample cuttings of flowers. A week and a half later, the flowers is still looking good, and I placed it outside where it recieve afternoon sunshine!

Here is one of the two plants I bought:

Jatropha

Perhaps I'll take a picture of the two flowers tomorrow.

o

Here is the pictures of it:

Jatropha Flower

This cuttings is almost two weeks old, a lot of the small flower has been shed, but it is still upright and the remaining flowers are bright red.

Jatropha cutting

o

Jatrophas are very toxic and is listed as a number indoor plant which affects children and pets annually. Avoid this as an indoor plant subject and definitely don't handle this as a source for cut flowers.

o

When I arrived home immediately after buying it, I researched on it and learned that it's in the euphorbia family, which most are toxic. So like the Crown-of-Thorn that I have, I knew that it must be kept away from children and pets.

I thought that since the purpose of the cut flower will be used in cemetery vases, it would be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here