Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please, help to ID this orchid from Foster Bot.Garden

Posted by chara2 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:14

Aloha,
A few days ago I have visited Foster Botanical Garden and sow this gorgeous orchid right in the middle of the Lyon Orchid Garden. Unfortunately, it already finished blooming and has about 3' tall stalks left after blooms dropped. It does look like some kind of Cattleya, but I never seen a Cat. with such tall blooms. If not a Cat, then what it could be? If someone has visited FBG this year and sow the orchid, please would you help me to ID it? Pictured, it is across the path from Eyes Apple tree and has some kind of Vanda growing on the side. Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please, help to ID this orchid from Foster Bot.Garden

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:19

those long spikes look more like oncidium than catt.

o

Hi
Wish i could help but it's really tough without flowers, even then there are soooo many species and hybrids
Was curious about the plant with the striped stem??
Some kind of rush?? gary

o

Looks like a Schomburgkia. Cattleya relative. Likes to live high in tree tops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here