Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstarrkihei

What kinds of fruit trees can grow in Kihei?

kstarrkihei
17 years ago

Aloha, I hope that one of you expert locals can help me with a question. I am wondering how I can find out what kinds of fruit trees will thrive on the hot dry Kihei side of Maui--and which one's I'll be able to get here on island.

Any help?

Comments (5)

• jscu
    17 years ago

Hi. We also live in Kihei (Maui Meadows). Although I can take no credit for planting our fruit trees we have:
    mangos, figs, lichie, bananas, starfruit, passion fruit, guava, coconut, advocado, papaya and mulberry. We also did have soursop but I cut the tree down, however it is sprouting again! We also have other fruiting trees - Lord only knows what they are - I have not had the nerve to try them. Nice to see someone else in Kihei, although I am no gardening expert from this area!

• raygrogan
    17 years ago

Good list above.

Mangoes especially like it dry and hot. There are websites on how to keep them small (although most get huge). Varieties - although I love the basic Hayden and White Pirie standards, lately I have been planting the "off season" varieties trying to get some during the rest of the year. Can't list favorites yet, as no fruit, but Mapulehu and Rapoza are two candidates.

A mango relative that is astoundingly delish is "maprang". Don't know much else about it - Frankie's in Waimanalo (Oahu) has them and lots of other tropical fruit trees.

Another category is "smallish fruit trees that you pick the fruit to eat while walking in garden, and also hard to buy fruit in markets". Kari starfruit is the star... loquat, jaboticaba, fig, good tangerines, etc. are all fun.

Quick note about soursop. I too was ready to cut down my tree until a gardening buddy told me it was one of his favorite fruits. Showed me when to pick (so over-ripe it was getting pecked by birds) and when to eat (even riper, almost rotten but it does not rot, even days later and even OK to pick up under tree as gooey mess) and he was right - a very good fruit indeed. If you have lots and want to make a tasty treat, smush the juice out and freeze it in ice cube trays. My kids love "sop pops" - a glass of soda like Seven Up poured over the sour sop ice cubes. Great sweet-sour fun sucking on the cubes as they melt. My friends loved daiquiris vastly improved with as many cubes as could be spared.

Good luck in the new yard.

• bearmountainscientific_comcast_net
    15 years ago

In general, standard fruit trees such as you would find in the mainland U.S. will grow fine in Hawaii. However, they will not produce fruit. Such fruit trees, as apples, pears, peaches, etc. require a dormant period, like winter, to reset the production cycle. If this does not happen there will be no fruit produced. However, there is technology being developed to artifically force fruit trees in areas, where no winter exist, into a dormant period. This will allow standard fruit trees to produce in Hawaii. The system provides an electonic stimulus to trees. It was orginally designed to enhance the growth rates of plants and trees. It can also be used to force a fruit tree into production, even in Hawaii. So, to answer your question, what fruit trees will grow in Hawaii, not very many right now but the future is about to change. Visit us at:
    BearMountainScientific.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear Mountain Scientific

• pueokai
    15 years ago

Bravehearts mom is spot on !; you can try almost anything there and as long as you water, mulch a lot, and fertilize you'll do fine. Our hot, dry westside over here on Kauai produces legendary mangos - dry varietys such as Hayden kick tail. Try grow some longans and lychee too, they rock ! The Cara Cara orange should do well there , and they are incredible ! As you might have read from a previous post I am trying the Florida peaches and some others have planted the hot weather variety apricots and pears which you sometimes find at wal mart ( Pang's Nursery ? - see website, but so far my peach tree is growing well but no fruit yet. I'll keep ya all posted.

Have fun and Aloha

• randg
    15 years ago

Well in Waipahu, I'm growing an apple.

Try growing it in your place and it may flower:

And eventually bare a fruit:

If you planted it in the right place some fruit trees that you may not think will survive in the hot and dry climate may actually survive and/or thrive. The Golden Dorsett Apple I planted must be in a so-called microclimate. It receives sunlight in the morning, and is partly shaded at noon by a evergreen tree when the sun is burning hot.

Good luck on whatever fruit tree you decide to plant--they are very rewarding in more ways than one. Besides being good to look at, it gives you food and good for the environment.

Sponsored