Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable Gardening without Nematodes

Posted by ediblelandscape (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 20:03

I had vegetable gardens in Makawao for years, and now in Nanakuli. I only realized recently my problems with getting beans, peas, peppers, eggplants, strawberries, and tomatoes to thrive was due to nematodes. My wife bought a garden tomato in a rather large pot and it produced beautiful tomatoes while mine planted out produced a few and then went into decline. Since then I have planted everything subject to nematodes in pots, and they are all thriving now too! So if you're just getting your plants up and they start to wilt and dieback, try containers to see if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable Gardening without Nematodes

Also a good idea is while those vegetables are planted in containers, plant the ground that is infected with nematodes with plants that deters it such as Chrysanthemum or mums, and marigolds.

"Chrysanthemums, particularly the C. coccineum or "painted daisy" species, kill harmful root nematodes in the soil." according to a site.

o

ediblelandscape: I googled nematodes to see what they were because I haven't had problems with them in Wahiawa, but like the chrysanthemum post above, I read that marigolds may also be effective in killing nematodes. Maybe plant some of them near your tomatoes and other plants in the ground and see how they do.

I tried this with my melon plants, and used rosemary to fend off leaf miner bugs, and that seemed to work. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marigold Information

o

Thats why its important to revive your soil . with the beneficial fungus your mycorrhizae the good spores the fight the nematodes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here