Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hawaiin Plant Q

Posted by diamondm (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 22:35

Whats the deal with bringing plants back to the mainland from Hawaii? Can you bring cuttings only? Is it best to ship plants? Can I bring small plants back in my carry on luggage?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hawaiin Plant Q

All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Restrictions on the movement of fruits, plants, live snails, and other items from Hawaii to the Mainland are enforced to prevent the spread of fruit flies and other hazardous plant insects and diseases.

Plants may be purchased at certified nurseries, which seal and stamp packages containing the plants so the plants pass the inpsection at the airport. There are lots of certified orchid nurseries. Or you may have the plants mailed to your home for convenience. In addition, some stores, particularly those in tourist areas such as ABC Stores, carry plant material (such as small orchid plants, small ginger plants, ti leaf "logs", plumeria cuttings) packaged in plastic bags that have been certified and would pass the agricultural inspection at the airport.

o

• Posted by buzzy 8PugetSound (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 4:49

How about the other way around? Is there any restriction on mail order plants TO Hawaii? Or seeds?

o

Mail order to Hawaii...

Call the Dept of Ag first and ask them if the plant you are considering is an invasive. If it is an allowed plant there should be as few leaves as possible and no soil. The sender must label it with the name of the plant and a label that states "may be opened for Ag inspection". This info was given to me by the Dept of Ag here on Maui.
Please do find out if it is considered invasive first!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here