Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_isle_dave

Just a few new questions 'n' offers =] ( Kauai for trades )

garden_isle_dave
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well n having good luck with the plants. I have a few questions and some "available" roots n such, thought Id post them on here (seeing as how there's nothing recent on the exchanges, wha' no one uses it anymore? =p )

-OFFERS-

Make an offer or trade, Im definitely looking for some different species of heliconia, the bigger and showier the better! Wild Plantain is another Im after, preferably the large vertical red and/or yellow blossoms ! Lemme know if you have some of these and we can work something out =]

~I have a large quantity of tall Shell ginger available, Im digging up the area around it to keep it contained and to plant other things(Tomatoes, Cuc's, Grapes, etc. etc.) and Im coming up with a whole lot of roots. We dont really have anywhere to relocate it to on the property, and I dont wanna waste em by killing them, so if anyones interested in some tubers, gimme a shout. I've had them among other roots and plants at a yard sale recently, sold some, but I still have a ton of it.

~I have red/yellow(not sure which is which - "Indian Shot", pencil-like flowers) Canna rhizomes and small plants,

~White Ginger tubers and plants,

~Heliconia (Red and yellow, 2 species, again rhizomes mixed together, vertical species and hanging species) ~I've got a small Aloe Vera plant (not very popular =p) ~Ive got some small(4-6 inch) hibiscus trimmings just starting to take root. 2 Hibiscus species, large white species, and small red species, which has more petals than "common" species. Ill take photos of them and post a bit later on, an ID would be nice if anyone knows what species they are, mahalo in advance !

-QUESTIONS-

~I also have a hanging planter with some strawberries in it. Its past the fruiting stage for the most part, but its starting to grow and hang lower and lower. The "joints" are starting to root, and theyre just hanging there in mid-air. Has anyone encountered this before and do you know what I can do? For now I just took a bottle cap sized container, poked some holes, and tied it around, with the roots hanging into it. Had to use small kine so it didnt weigh the vine down and snap it. I filled this cap with perlite and water, and it seems to be doing okay for now. Once these roots are doing well, is it possible to snip the new "sprout" from the main plant and plant it somewhere else? Im envisioning an army of hanging strawberry plants...MMMmmmmm...

~Cheapest place to buy orchids on island? Im a photographer and would like to find a place to buy some relatively cheap orchids. Ive looked at walmart n kmart here on Kauai, and found a ton there, but pretty expensive, don't want to drop a hundred just to walk out with 6 or 7 kines =/ Any kind will do, I have 2 bamboo orchids and one hanging species, have both blossomed and are doing awesome, but Id like to add to the collection ! If you know of a place, or have some rhizomes you may be willing to part with(or just part in half altogether) for cash or trade, shoot me a note and lemme know whats up !

Mahalo nui loa everyone as always for any and all info!

Hope to hear from you soon, ala da best 'n' aloha,

Dave

~Kauai, Hawaii

Ill provide a link to some of my photography work with the plant photos later as well, in case anyones interested in looking or asking about pricing and sizes *wink* Mahalo!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?