Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Names of Hawaiian Flowers

Posted by deltx TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 1:06

I recently visited Hawaii and need help finding the names of some of the pictures. The pictures are posted online at http://hometown.aol.com/deltx/myhomepage/photo.html.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Names of Hawaiian Flowers

1. Looks like a hydrangea, but i'm not really sure

2. Red Ginger and Bird of Paradise

3 & 7. I espacially like this one. This is Metrosideros tremuloides (where was this picture taken?). The Hawaiians called this flower lehua ahihi. The native Hawaiian species in the genus Metrosideros are called Ohi'a (Ohi'a referring to the tree, lehua to the flower).

The special thing about this species is its lanceolate leaves and distinct petioles - and of course the fact that it is endemic to the island i live on... O'ahu. It is very different from the more common and highly polymorphic Metrosideros polymorpha.

more pics of Hawaiian Metrosideros:
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/metrosideros.htm

4. I'm not sure but I believe I've seen it and its quite common

5. Not sure

6. Mexican Plumeria

8. Shower tree

o
RE: Names of Hawaiian Flowers

Mahalo for all the help and information! I think I uploaded #3/7 twice :) I'll try to see if I can remember exactly where that picture was taken. It would have to be somewhere around Honolulu. My friend was using my digital camera some too and she might remember where too. I've got several others too I want to get the name for eventually but figured I'd start with just a few to upload last night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here