Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for name of a ~weedy tree, may be called sarcropia

Posted by raygrogan Iowa and Hawaii (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 2:34

Here is a picture of a relatively common tree in Honolulu. I want to get the name and search to see if the tubers are edible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of tree ?sarcropia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for name of a ~weedy tree, may be called sarcropia

It looks like Cecropia, trumpet tree, supposedly the flower buds are edible, but I don't know that for a fact.

o
RE: Looking for name of a ~weedy tree, may be called sarcropia

While it does somewhat resemble a Cecropia, if you're seeing white sap and tubers on the roots, I'm betting it's some form of Manihot esculenta, AKA Cassava, Tapioca, Manioc, Yuca etc. The leaflets look a bit wider than those I've seen, but it looks more like that than a Cecropia.

Cecropia leaves are rough-textured and slightly fuzzy, while Cassava is smooth. Also the Cecropia will grow into a huge tree in no time flat, whereas Cassava usually tops out around 5-6 ft. or so.

If it is Cassava/Tapioca, the tubers produce an edible starch, but some varieties are poisonous until you grate the root and leach out the juices. Better read up on it before you try making your own tapioca pudding!

Here is a link that might be useful: Manihot esculenta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here