Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Magnolia?

Posted by Love4Gardening 11 HI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 2:38

Hi Everyone-
Does anyone have a well established Magnolia here in Hawaii. I see one tree when I drive through Nuuanu to go downtown, however I was curious to know if anyone else had one and how fast does it grow? I bought one almost a year ago and it's now maybe two feet high. It hasn't grown a whole lot and I was wondering what other peoples experiences with it were. I know it isn't a native hawaiian plant, but I adore the flowers and I do live here in Hawaii and wonder if there's anyone out there who can give me any info? Mahalo, Love4Gardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Magnolia?

I really don't know what the problem is. But we bought a 2 foot tall 3 gal Dwarf Magnolia in 2002. It seems that It might take a while to become established. Our plant is almost six feet tall now. We notice that most of its growth occurs during the spring. I'm guessing that since it's used to more temperate regions it doesn't grow year-round. Our plant flowers quite profusely now i can count about 6 flower buds (thats the most we've seen so far).

We live in Kunia on O'ahu and our soil is red dirt clay. Maybe the Magnolia just needs a little more time before it starts growing more quickly.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 12:56

Magnolia grandiflora is fairly common there but looks like it may tend to be a little slower and more shrublike (although still becoming a tree) in the tropical environment than elsewhere. Up here easily found M. grandiflora 'Little Gem' is sold as a dwarf selection, perhaps somebody there has brought that in and it is your Dwarf Magnolia. It has smaller parts, grows bushy for some years, gradually becomes a columnar tree.

o

Thanks for the replies, I'm guessing that it just needs to get a little more established like Cyanea said. I'll admit that I am being a little impatient. When I bought the plant it had two buds on it. When I bought it home, I was in awe of the beautiful flowers that opened in the next couple of days. I can't wait till it blooms again. I'm guessing it'll be a while though :-( Well thanks again for the info and reassurance that I am being just a little impatient..lol..

o

Hey just as I was posting my previous post, my magnolia plant started forming a couple of buds. At first I'd thought it was just going to be another set of leaves, but to my surprise they were buds. I have some photos here hope you guys enjoy. Thanks for all the feedback and info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look What's Bloomin!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hawaii Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here