Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love4gardening808

Ti Leaf Plants Cuttings?

Love4Gardening
18 years ago

I was wondering does anyone know how to grow ti plants from cuttings? Is it hard to root or fairly easy? What type of media do you use?

Comments (19)

• ilima
    18 years ago

Very easy. Just put stem cuttings with all or most of the leaves removed in a good potting soil and keep moist. Be sure to remember which way is up.

ilima

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

You can direct-stick them, as ilima suggests, or you can root them in water first. If you do them in water, don't let the roots get too long before you pot them up, they are somewhat brittle and will most likely break-- best to do it when you first see the bark splitting and white roots starting to emerge.

If you live in a fairly rainy area, you can direct-stick them right into the ground too, but don't let the soil dry out until you're sure it's well-rooted and growing.

If you want to get a lot of plants, you can cut the cane into sections (I wouldn't go any shorter than @4"), but tip cuttings will grow better. As ilima says, it is important to remember which way is up (you can mark the sections with a marking pen), but if you forget, you can lay the whole section down horizontally and push it into the potting soil (don't bury it), and the buds will come out the side.

• Matt G
    18 years ago

I usually put a cutting right side up (I think I'll try the upside down thing though) in a pot. But I have also buried a cutting horizontally in the ground (red dirt clay - one inch deep) and it worked.

• Love4Gardening
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow...thanks for all the great info everyone. It seems fairly easy, so I'll go ahead and try it. Thanks again!

• hotzcatz
    18 years ago

Aloha Love4Gardening,

A lot of plants will grow from the "direct stick" method. If you have a moist sheltered area somewhere in your yard, it would make a good "nursery" area. I just get a small branch from different hibiscus and other shrubs (night blooming jasmine, gardinia, etc.) here and there and then push them into the dirt. About half the time they sprout and grow, if they do, I dig them up and put them out in an area where they have more room to grow.

Most folks will give you a small branch from their shrub if you ask. Wrap it in plastic if you have some, then when you get home if you have rooting hormone, dip the end in that, otherwise just push the small branch about half way into the soil. Six or eight inches at least. Then keep it moist and with a bit of luck it will sprout and grow.

A hui hou,
    Cathy

• jido
    17 years ago

I have recently, about three weeks ago, starting the rooting process with a Ti plant cutting/logs approximately about three inches in length. I am rooting three of the cuttings. Two of the logs are about an inch in diameter and the third is about half of that. I was instructed to cover/submerge one-half of the logs in water (vertically or horizontally)and keep in the same position. Therefore, I used the vertical position for the rooting process. I was instructed to change the water weekly. (I used distilled water for the rooting process). The roots would sprout in 2-6 weeks. Well, I now have emerging roots on the submerged part of the logs. However, I also have emerging blooms on the submerged part of the log with the sprouting roots as well. On one of the logs, there are sprouting roots and a sprouting blooms emerging from both side of the log. On the second log, I have one emerging bloom on just one side of the submerged portion of the log. The third and the smallest log has only roots sprouting from the submerged portion of the log and indications of two sprouting blooms on the emerged area of the log. However, considering the circumstances of the smaller log, I assume I can pot plant the small Ti plant vertically. One of the larger logs I assume I can pot plant horizontally. However, my concern is with the last Ti log with emerging/sprouting bloom coming from each side of the log. If pot planted horizontally, I will lose one sprouting blooms? It should be noted that there is absolutely no sprouting roots or indication of possible sprouting roots on the emerged end of the log. The entire log should be planted about two inches below the potting soil?

I am a newbie at attempting to grow a Ti plant and would welcome any suggestions on how to handle or pot plant the log that is sprouting blooms from both sides. Thanks in advance for your help.

• robin-newbee
    14 years ago

Does anyone know if this plant will recover from sun damage? I had my pot in the window where it was getting the afternoon to evening sun. I have since moved it to a more shady area. Most of the leaves have dried up but the stock appears to be still alive.

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Ti's are remarkably resilient. Keep it watered and it should be just fine.

• steiconi
    14 years ago

Jido,
    by blooms, do you mean young leaves? For the one that's sprouting roots and "blooms" on both sides, try planting it so the sprouts are coming out both sides, rather than up and down.
    Lee

• lanette_nc_rr_com
    12 years ago

A few years ago my husband brought back a cane/log of the ti leaf plant. it is now about 4 feet tall and the roots are pushing the soil out of the pot. Do i replant it in perlite/potting soil mixture in a bigger pot?

• Melzora
    11 years ago

I have three Ti plant logs in a dish of water waiting for them to root/bloom, the problem is they seem to have some sort of fungus on them, not sure what is going on, the dish is clean the water is clean and I have changed water each week as directed. What is going on should I throw them away?

• ckruse1970
    11 years ago

Mine are budding horizontally in water.

Once I plant them (horizontally?)should they only be partially covered like they are in the water?

Once planted, do I just water them enough to keep them constantly moist?

I have potting soil and perlite I plan to mix with it.

• dv8r808
    10 years ago

Is it possible to get a long 5 ft Ti Leaf stem and cut them in 1 ft pieces and try to propogate them?

• dv8r808
    10 years ago

A guaranteed way to ensure growth of your stems are to cut them into 6" lengths or so, soak them in water for a day immediately after cutting. Stick them in a big pot or container with good drainable soil, potting soil and perlite is best, after you stick them into the soil cover it with a garbage bag and cut two small holes into the top of the bag. This allows the retention of moisture and maintains tempurature control for a condusive environment creating the accelerated growth. Water once a every week for a period of 2-3 weeks which will give them a great start to root your new Ti Leaf plants. Roots will have a great head start. 3 weeks could produce 6" roots, Check my pics.

This post was edited by dv8r808 on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 18:29

• will8175
    10 years ago

I just bought 2 red ti logs how can you tell which way is up

• dv8r808
    10 years ago

You can tell by two ways. Most obvious is the bottom of the stem usually is thicker or have a greater circumference than the top. Secondly, if you note my pic, there are triangle like paper thin bark that grows upward, like the ti leaves when mature. This is a sprouting stem, but if you look closely the nodes are at the tip of each triangle like bark. The tip of the triangle is the top.

• will8175
    10 years ago

each end is covered with wax what's the easiest way to get off without harming the log

• PRO
    TUTU
    8 years ago

I have 3 Ti leaf plants that has only a single stem, does anyone know how to cut Ti leaf and make it full

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz